Are you a passionate product designer who knows product decisions arent always #000000 & #FFFFFF? Do you subconsciously count the number of clicks it takes to get to a web page? Does your Univers often revolve around extolling the finer differences between Proxima Nova & Montserrat? Well, then you just might be the Senior Product Designer were looking for!
Were looking for an experienced individual who is excited about making an immediate impact. Youll be asked to lead design efforts across a myriad of products, affecting more than a million+ movers (people who are moving) a year.
Moving is one of the most universally relatable problems. Weve all had to move at least once & we all think moving is a painful experience. Updater is solving that pain at scale.
As Senior Product Designer, youll have an opportunity to greatly influence how the product works & looks moving forward. Youll collaborate with world-class startup teams of Product, Engineering, Data, Marketing, & Business in our beautiful office overlooking Union Square. We are looking for someone who knows how to apply the right levels of research for the challenge at hand, who loves crafting beautiful consumer experiences, & is deeply empathetic to users & their challenges with moving. Youll be an early member of our Product Design team, reporting directly to our President. The ideal candidate is looking for the right opportunity to take on more autonomy & strategic thinking responsibility.
In addition to collaborating with teams across the company, our Data Team is particularly unusual built out by the former Data Science Lead from Heroku we surface insights on user behavior way beyond what is normal for a company of any size. Its a massive advantage, & the right design team member will be incredibly excited about the opportunity to collaborate to segment users in smart ways & craft experiences that not only convert, but also delight.
About the Role
- Ensure best in class design & user experience from beginning to end
- Support & extend Updaters core design philosophy & principles, & spearhead making those part of every Updater product & experience
- Become an expert in residential moving through user research, hypothesis setting, & smart testing
- Rapidly evolve Updaters most engaged-with product area to significantly increase user engagement & NPS
- Improve overall quality of design & visual experiences by establishing & rolling out consistent design patterns & experiences across the product
- Build out our (budding) design system
- Partner with Front End Engineering to implement well-crafted experiences that support best practices in accessibility
- Help grow a healthy & happy design team & culture that attracts & retains outstanding product designers
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from our users' point of view in order to anticipate their needs
- Humility: you have an opinion, but arent afraid to be proven wrong, & are open to suggestions on how to best utilize design to solve a user need
- Strong Communication: optimism & a forward-looking attitude with a clear, inspiring communication style
- Comfort with Ambiguity: youre used to being asked open-ended questions & able to clearly communicate a point of view
- Passion: you have your favorite sites, your favorite experiences, & you spend time thinking about how to build B2C software applications
- 4+ years of experience designing software products, with at least 1+ year focused on consumer-facing, mobile-centric experiences
- Strategic design thinker, a collaborator, & a champion of the user
- A passion for user research & user testing, & deep experience analyzing user feedback & behavior
- Proficiency in Figma, Webflow, UserTesting, & Optimizely (or similar)
- Experience working with a Data Team to uncover actionable insights
- An excellent communicator, able to synthesize research in a compelling way to rally the team to solve real user needs
- Ability to understand the brand principles & ensure they are properly represented in the product
About Updater Group
Updater Group makes moving easier for the 45 million Americans that relocate every year. Our efforts to streamline the moving process is grounded in our guiding principle: Were mover first. Movers are our heart & soul the single most important thing we think about & prioritize, driving all of our decision-making.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $200M from leading investors including Fidelity International, SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of REALTORS), & more. Updater has been honored with many culture & workplace awards, but dont take our word for it join us as we transform how the world moves.
Updater Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.