BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
The BuzzFeed Fellowship is a year-long program for the next generation of writers, editors, & content creators eager to master the tools & techniques of social storytelling on BuzzFeed.com. Over the course of the program, you will learn how to create the type of content that readers love to share. You must have a deep understanding & passion for the digital & pop cultural landscape with intimate knowledge of the latest & greatest in social media, content, & emerging technology/platforms.
Fellows will work with & learn from members of the BuzzFeed team. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in writing. We look for people who are fascinated by the web, human psychology & pop culture. This is a paid position ($18/hour) based in either our Los Angeles & New York offices. While this job will be based out of our LA or NYC offices, we are working remote as an organization until Summer 2021 due to COVID, & will continue to support remote work for select locations (*Approved remote work locations include the following states - California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington.)
The deadline to apply for this fellowship is February 5th, 2021. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply. The intended (and tentative) start date for this Fellowship is March 1st, 2021.
We're looking for hungry culture maniacs obsessed with the things people are sharing, liking, recommending & talking about. You should also have:
- High emotional intelligence
- A positive, curious, playful disposition (no haters)
- A genuine, wide-eyed love of pop culture & internet trends in all their forms
- An interest in social platforms & what drives people to share content on the web
- Curiosity & excitement about social platforms (Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.)
In addition, you should demonstrate the following:
- 1-3 years of experience with writing content for the web (includes internship, freelance, writing for your personal blog, etc.)
- Ability to conceive of ideas, jump on social trends, & produce posts for the website
- Ability to handle critical feedback & improve from it
- Eagerness to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience with design or illustration tools is a plus
Please submit the following when applying to be an Editorial Fellow:
- Instead of a formal cover letter, please include a few short paragraphs about what topics youd want to write about on BuzzFeed, & what about the site interests you.
- Create a BuzzFeed.com/community profile, & create 2-3 posts that reflect your voice & interests. NOTE: Only 1 of the 2-3 posts can be a quiz. When you submit your posts, include This is for the Editorial Fellowship. in the description. Youll be asked to provide the links to your posts when you complete the application. SO, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNITY POSTS PRIOR TO COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION! We encourage you to check buzzfeed.com/trending to see examples of posts that are connecting with people, & to take note of the variety of topics & formats.
- Provide links to your public social media accounts.
- Attach a resume - Keep it to 1 page!
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.