At its core, 500px is a community of passionate photographers. Our mission is to build a platform that enables & rewards that communitys visual creativity. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website & mobile apps to find, share, & get rewarded for the worlds most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship & love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, & getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: React, Redux, ES6, Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, & various Amazon AWS services. Check out our Engineering Blog for more.
The 500px website & associated APIs are critical to our business & to our community. As a web developer youll be responsible for helping to deliver everything from tiny UX improvements, to broad structural changes spanning multiple codebases that require deep knowledge of React & Redux, & other web frameworks.
What You'll Be Doing
- Designing, implementing & optimizing web products used by millions of users.
- Turning product plans into code, in close collaboration with product managers, designers, & other team players.
- Becoming intimately familiar with our web applications, & forming an expert opinion about how to debug & improve them.
- Coordinating & collaborating with developers across multiple teams & tech stacks.
- Providing technical leadership & mentorship to other team members
- Helping the team prioritize, assess risk, & evaluate tradeoffs
- Helping to design & maintain the 500px systems infrastructure.
- Engaging in discussions thoughtfully, & supporting clear decision making throughout the team
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A positive attitude & a strong intellectual curiosity.
- 5+ years of web development experience
- Experience shipping software at scale, with a product-focused mindset
- Experience working with web frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django, & Express.
- Familiarity with MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, & ElasticSearch.
- A solid understanding of the pros/cons of these different tools, & sound judgement in evaluating their tradeoffs for different applications
- Expert-level knowledge of fundamental web technologies including HTTP & RESTful services, & common web security pitfalls
- Solving interesting technical problems that impact millions of users.
- Working with highly talented technical colleagues in a startup environment.
- Competitive salaries & flexible hours.
- Your choice of computer.
- Great health & dental benefits.
- Catered lunches & some of Toronto's best coffees & teas.
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: <1hr conversation with a hiring manager/tech lead.
- Coding challenge: We'll ask you to write some code, & then share it with us to review.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, & we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to source candidates broadly, & reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.