BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
We are looking for an experienced & highly-motivated Revenue Manager to join our growing Accounting team at BuzzFeed. This position will be a key member of our Accounting Team & be a critical partner with our FP&A, Tax, Business Development & other teams. The candidate will be responsible for executing time efficient month-end close processes as well as managing the continued growth & build out of robust internal controls.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication & relationship building skills as they partner across the organization.The candidate is an exceptional mentor, teammate & leader who is able to guide their team while exceeding goals in a high-growth, deadline-driven environment. This position will report to the Revenue Senior Manager. The manager will work on multiple projects at once & be responsible for developing & maintaining effective communication with multiple business partners. The Manager may also be involved in other Accounting & Finance activities as needed.
- Oversee & manage accounting of multiple revenue streams as well as the design, implementation & execution of scalable & effective processes for a more efficient close
- Manage the revenue monthly close process including the review of journal entries, reconciliation of revenue & deferred revenue accounts & preparation of reserve models, & other related transactions.
- Review revenue contracts to ensure revenue is recognized in accordance with ASC 606; review draft contracts & customer orders for potential revenue recognition issues;
- Prepare monthly actuals vs budget & gross margin analysis while partnering with FP&A to bridge variances
- Review existing processes, structures, & systems to assist in the identification of improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization & optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Maintains expertise associated with ASC 606 revenue accounting & cross sharing of this knowledge.
- Support the financial statement audit, as well as any statutory audits that may arise.
- Improve internal control processes & implement best practices where applicable;
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, CPA preferred
- 5+ years experience in Accounting & / or Finance with a focus on revenue recognition, technical accounting, preferably including experience in both public accounting & corporate environments
- Must have a strong understanding & application of US GAAP, with a specialization of knowledge surrounding ASC 606 Revenue & ability to perform in depth research on complex technical accounting matters & effectively summarize conclusions;
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- System savvy & ability to work with different applications & databases; experience with NetSuite a plus
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills & the demonstrated ability to work independently, yet cooperatively & constructively, in a team environment; and
- Excellent problem solving & analytical skills with a strong attention to detail
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.