Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, & brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquares platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Visits. As the industrys first & only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions those that exist today & those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date, building a phones-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the role:
Foursquare is looking for a Corporate Counsel (Commercial) to join our Legal team. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, the Corporate Counsel will be responsible for many day to day legal issues facing the company. This individual will frequently interact with the Sales & Business Development teams, & occasionally with members of the Product & Engineering teams. This person will draft, review, & negotiate contracts, resolve disputes, & have an opportunity for continued growth & development.
If youre looking for an opportunity to make a significant impact from day one (and have fun while doing so). Foursquares legal team is the place for you! We are open to candidates based out of LA, SF, or NYC.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Reviewing, drafting, & negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements, including master services, licensing, professional services, marketing, & vendor agreements;
- Identifying legal & regulatory issues in product initiatives & customer agreements, including privacy & data security issues, & working with the appropriate resources to create solutions & minimize risk;
- Assisting with tracking & managing existing contract expirations, renewals, non-renewals, extensions, & amendments;
- Engaging strategically in risk assessment/mitigation & developing innovative approaches to legal issues in support of business objectives;
- Providing practical, creative legal advice in a fast-paced, high growth environment;
- Working closely with the teams charged with generating business & proactively establishing relationships with other departments including Marketing, Finance, Product, & Engineering;
- Assisting with corporate, M&A, & other legal matters as requested; and
- Providing strategic legal advice & counsel on a broad range of legal topics.
- 3-6 years of legal experience, preferably with experience being part of an in-house legal department;
- Strong academic credentials, including a Juris Doctor degree & membership in good; standing in at least one state bar (New York or California preferred);
- Experience drafting & negotiating complex commercial agreements, including licensing agreements (data licensing, SDK, API agreements, SaaS agreements);
- Business judgment & ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice;
- Ability to act as a legal advisor & partner, providing insight & advice in conversations with the sales & BD teams;
- A team-player mindset with the ability to work collaboratively across various functions & with colleagues at all levels; and
- Enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally & working on cutting-edge legal issues.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Base-level familiarity with technology, IP & privacy experience is a plus;
- Proficiency with Salesforce, Box, & the Google Suite;
- Experience in a technology and/or start-up company environment; and
- Experience with international commercial transactions.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.