Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about helping writers share their knowledge with our community.
The Technical Editing team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by editing & publishing approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of DevOps, open source, & modern application development topics. All members of the team are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching & helping developers, & a passion for creating the most useful learning materials possible.
As a Technical Editor, you will act as a partner & coach to writers creating technical articles. These articles cover software development, managing Linux infrastructure & servers, & installing & configuring software. Working through our Write for DOnations program (do.co/w4do) & other initiatives, you will build relationships with external authors who want to get published on DigitalOcean & edit their work. The ideal candidate will have experience in technical writing or editing, a background in education, instruction, or mentoring, & a desire to work in a hands-on technical environment.
If you feel that you have the background & knowledge for this Technical Editor position, wed love to talk to you & see where theres a fit!
What You'll Be Doing
- Publishing tutorials about real world projects in the areas of software development, system administration, & DevOps from authors all over the world.
- Delivering editorial notes to help authors improve the technical details, explanations, & quality of writing in each tutorial to ensure the best outcomes for our learners.
- Developing relationships with authors to encourage repeat contributions.
- Testing the tutorials you publish, to ensure they work for our learners.
- Assisting with maintenance of the current DigitalOcean library: updating older articles, adding additional information to current articles, & occasionally producing new content as necessary.
- Evaluating writing samples & proposed tutorial topics for interest to the open-source community, value in teaching readers how to code at different levels of technical difficulty, & practical utility.
- Learning about system administration, devops concepts, & software development. An interest in technical growth is a must!
What We'll Expect From You
- Excellent written & verbal English communication skills.
- Previous developmental editing or technical writing experience, preferably on software development or system administration/devops topic areas.
- Demonstrated ability to research new & unfamiliar subjects.
- Comfort with maintaining author relationships.
- Formal or informal experience with teaching or mentoring.
- Demonstrated experience in learning new technology quickly.
- Familiarity with developer interests & culture.
- Strong interest in learning about server web application setup, deployment, overall Linux server administration, & software development.
- Some Linux command line experience is a plus, as is familiarity with DigitalOceans products & existing tutorials.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!