Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring an Operations Engineer to join our Insurance Operations team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
You will work within Oscar's Operations organization to build upon Oscar's infrastructure & underlying logic, playing a role in the transition to next-generation technology platforms for core insurance functions. You will implement the rules that determine important business operations supporting member enrollments, clinical functions, & claims payment systems, & setting up data quality systems & guardrails to ensure primary tasks' ongoing quality & success. Working with Oscar's Tech, Data, & Operational Process teams, you will be the owner of projects to contribute to our partners' unique experience & will be necessary to supporting Oscar's growing membership.
You'll work with the Insurance Operations team, Claims & Member Engineering, data scientists, & business leads. We'll expect you to understand complexity, distill it, & explain it in simple, structured terms.
You will report to the Senior Operations Manager.
During the first 6 weeks you have:
- Developed an understanding of the operations ecosystem (including the underlying technology) & its current strengths, weaknesses, & gaps.
- Internalized the coding languages & data structures used in both older health industry systems & the next generation tech platform that Oscar is building.
- Begun to form a working relationship with partners.
During the first 6 months you have:
- Independently built scripts & tools to ensure seamless data integrations between Oscar's external partners & its new insurance technology stack.
- Become an expert on the main member & provider data models used in health insurance operations.
- Partnered with the Claims Engineering & Data departments to structure & operationalize the next generation of claim adjudication & payment.
On an ongoing basis you will:
- Build & oversee Claims & Member data integrations & accompanying technical projects for Oscar's entrance into Medicare Advantage.
- Distill the requirements of new product & market expansions & design automated workflows to reduce manual work requirements.
- Support the Claims & Member configuration operations team to resolve provider & member escalations through issue investigation, training, & technical tooling.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years experience in a technical role (QA analyst, PM, operations analyst, finance, consulting, industrial engineering)
- Experience working with complex financial data
- Experience using tools (e.g. SQL/Python) to answer your questions & build your solutions
- Experience distilling complex concepts & workflows into clear content for all kinds of audiences
- Experience following through on ideas for improvement, including a hand in implementation
- An academic & professional background in coding, math, statistics, or data science
- Knowledge & passion of healthcare or health insurance
- Knowledge management, training, or content development experience
- Startup experience
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.