Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone .
We are looking for an inspired & motivated technical contributor to join the DigitalOcean Security Operations Center. In this role, you will be a key member of DigitalOceans Digital Forensic & Incident Response (DFIR) team, charged with improving the security posture of DigitalOcean both reactively & proactively, ensuring a secure cloud infrastructure for both customers & internal users. You will gain skills in one or more of multiple focal areas including digital forensics, incident response, platform abuse, legal/regulatory enforcement, & enterprise security. You will use your analytical skills to identify & eliminate bad actors inside the DigitalOcean platform or leverage your engineering skills to create innovative ways to detect & respond to potential threats.
With over 500,000 customers utilizing 10+ data centers & 10,000+ hypervisors every day, our Security Operations Center never loses sight of the role we play in making the internet a more secure place for everyone.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Establishing an understanding of DigitalOceans entire production environment, from applications to infrastructure, keeping up-to-date with material changes & future directions.
- Handling live intrusions & incident response cases, in a customer-oriented & transparent manner, to minimize the impact of bad actors on the internet.
- Collect digital artifacts from cloud systems for analysis to reconstruct what may have transpired on a system.
- Analyzing network traffic to identify compromised systems, negate denial of service attacks, & pinpoint resource abuse.
- Identifying trends in abusive activity, communicating with leadership to keep them apprised, & advocating for appropriate product changes to prevent future occurrences.
- Acting as a point of contact for security & related incidents: providing supporting data for critical issues, downtime events, & Post-Mortem reports.
- Helping build tools to identify or automate response to abusive activity.
- Building strong relationships with the other technical teams across our engineering & infrastructure functions to harden account, platform, & service structures to combat intrusions, compromises, & disruptive activities.
What Well Expect From You:
- Experience handling live incident response activities transparently, in a fast-paced team environment where accuracy of analysis determines business impact.
- Ability to differentiate between normal & unusual resource usage patterns in customer & employee network/system behaviors in order to hunt for subtle anomalous patterns.
- Both dead-disk & live digital forensics experience, especially on Linux or Unix systems using open source tools (eg, volatility, sleuthkit) in an enterprise production environment at scale.
- Data analysis skills, including familiarity with relational databases, structured query languages, logging infrastructures, & data visualization tools (eg, looker, grafana).
- Familiarity with basic static & dynamic malware analysis for triage, identification, prioritization, & remediation of new malware families & behaviors (x86_64 preferred).
- A high degree of curiosity & aptitude, with a clear passion for security & the desire to keep our employees, customers, & the internet safe.
- Clear written & verbal communication skills to include; technical writing, presenting, coaching, mentoring.
- Consistently improving security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection & correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
- Bonus: Experience in one or more of the following:
- Vulnerability Analysis, Scoping, & Mitigation Planning
- Threat Intelligence Collection / Analysis / Dissemination
- Network Protocol Analysis
- Coding, automation, or scripting skills
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!