Were hiring a VP, Engineering.
About our team & what well build together
We're looking for a VP of Software Engineering with a passion for team leadership & deep experience in software development & systems architecture to join our leadership team. You will be the central technology leader within theSkimm & will be responsible for owning our technical architecture, roadmap, vision, & driving execution. Your wide-ranging responsibilities will include our consumer-facing products & services, the systems which drive those experiences, our internal IT infrastructure & policies, security & compliance, & systems architecture.
You will mentor & guide our dedicated staff of software engineers, technical architects, QA/DevOps professionals, & IT technicians. You are an inclusive leader who encourages divergent views & uses them to create discourse that leads to the best outcome. You prioritize curiosity, possess a drive for self-learning, & a desire to keep up to date in new technologies, services, industry trends, & methodologies.
You will not just be responsible for building our systems & tools, but for evolving the culture by which we will deliver our best work. Our ideal candidate will have a passion for pushing the bounds of whats possible through ethical & inspired technology, mentoring & motivating colleagues & staff through shared learning & exploration, & fostering a positive culture of collaboration & accountability that continually improves upon itself.
How youll contribute to our mission
- Plan, architect, & build a scalable & robust architecture across our portfolio of consumer-facing products, internal systems, & vendors
- Hire, manage, motivate, & grow a team of software engineers, QA, Dev/Net Ops, IT, & security personnel
- Develop & mentor staff; provide regular feedback & constantly ensure improvement in professional skills & attainment of career development goals
- Own our short & long term technology roadmaps
- Understand, identify, & evaluate the best partners & vendors in our space. Work with cross-functional teams to connect our vision with those partners
- Manage our technology & IT budgets
- Develop proposals, RFPs, & presentations
- Ensure that all employees at theSkimm have the technology to effectively perform their jobs & seamlessly collaborate in a remote/on-site hybrid environment
- Define & model a culture of excellence, inclusivity, & accountability
- Ensure our systems, technical partners, & data are secure & compliant with necessary regulations
- Adapt, implement, & champion current best practices in digital development methodologies (e.g., Lean, Agile, user-centered design) and, where appropriate, work with other departments to understand & embrace them
- Build & manage relationships internally & with third parties across the technology & media landscape
- Create technical specifications & requirements
- Take a hands-on role in the design, development, deployment, & maintenance of software on an as-needed basis
- Oversee software development life-cycle processes that drive delivery toward a scalable product portfolio that will, in-turn, drive the organizations goals of audience & financial growth
Youre ready for this! Heres a bit more about what were looking for
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with progressively increasing responsibilities
- 6+ years of engineering leadership experience, with a proven track record designing & executing large scale, complex platforms with high availability in a rapidly evolving environment
- Demonstrated ability to attract top talent & inspire high performing teams
- Ability to clearly communicate & lead discussions around strategy, architecture, & engineering principles
- Technical adeptness across the full stack
- Deep proficiency with modern software engineering languages & frameworks, cloud computing platforms, & orchestration technologies
- Strong experience in agile & test-driven methodologies
- Effective negotiation & vendor management skills
- Experience weighing strategic, operational, & budget factors to make & implement sound decisions around build-vs-buy options
- Exceptional understanding of modern security practices
- Ability to think big, while paying attention to detail; ability to balance technical vision with business needs
- Strong communication skills & passion for sharing expertise with other team members
- Ability to organize & motivate large cross-functional teams & lead through influence
- Self-learning & desire to keep up-to-date in new technologies, services, industry trends & methodologies
- Collaborative, open, & able to have strong opinions that are weakly held
- Ability to balance technical vision with business needs
- Strong quantitative & analytical abilities; use data to drive decisions
- Entrepreneurial spirit & a willingness to take risks & move into uncharted territory
- Tactical problem-solving skills & the readiness to get in the weeds when necessary
- Ability to manage conflicting interests between teams & drive towards solutions
Why we love working here
We are mission driven & values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand for women by helping them maneuver through lifes necessities. We are providing this community with information & resources so they have the ability, agency & confidence to live their smartest lives. Every role has a purpose & allows us to equip & enable women to make their best decisions, feel more educated & have the right knowledge at the right time.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work & our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us support this incredible brand & take part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each & every day.
We put you & your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans & commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day & employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- Generous paid parental leave
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Flexible & broad scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company time off during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative & supportive culture (we celebrate & have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs & activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, & wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office & remote, to connect & have fun
Your career & development are a priority:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners & colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance & planning
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimms suite of membership products & swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimmd
Were a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, we have become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way our audience consumes news & makes decisions. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & we continue to innovate, find new ways to Skimm everything from finance and careers to voting, wellness and downtime. Our product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done! We continue to grow the breadth of our offerings in lifes necessary categories & by expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, our ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation - & the ones that follow - in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
Learn more about us & our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. We have a hybrid environment & ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York & will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations & will also require additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.