Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
You are a process-driven individual who loves checking items off your to-do list. You are always thinking of ways to make complicated processes & internal communications more efficient, while keeping tabs on the big picture. You have a knack for assessing risky situations as well as navigating gray areas. You are empathetic & comfortable helping our customers navigate difficult life events.
You are extremely detail-oriented with a passion for organization. You are a strong communicator who enjoys interacting with other people to address any issue that comes your way. You enjoy being a subject matter expert & are eager to share your expertise with others across the organization. You are excited to support internal & external partners & play a crucial role in keeping our business growing & running smoothly.
At Betterment, our Operations team is keen on efficiency & iteration. We are talented, eager to learn from our colleagues, & always striving to help make them better as well. There is no job too big or too small for us; we are focused & we always strive for excellence.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $105,000 - $115,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Run the daily operations of Betterments Customer Operations function, leading the team to:
- Review & facilitate fund transfers, communicating with internal teams & customers as needed to optimize efficiency.
- Partner with the Customer Experience team on operational topics to provide a unified customer experience by collaborating across Slack, Asana, & ZenDesk.
- Solve daily customer issues, while identifying the root cause & collaborating with teams across the business to implement improvements as needed.
- Manage a team of 2-4 Customer Operations Associates.
- Collaborate with Customer Experience & adjacent Operations teams to address inquiries involving fund transfers, account onboarding, risk management, & other operational functions.
- Create, maintain & administer training materials/process documents that support the scaling of internal teams.
- Suggest improvements to operational processes to increase efficiency & scalability.
- Troubleshoot operational problems & collaborate with the engineering team to employ fixes.
What were looking for
- Prior experience at a bank/financial institution in back-office operations, finance, investing, or client support
- 1-2 years of people management experience
- Proficiency with Excel/Google Sheets
- Excellent organizational skills & attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly & problem solve on the fly with little guidance
- Strong intuition to assess & resolve unclear situations with limited information
- Exceptional communication skills
- Bonus points if you have:
- SQL experience
- Former experience working at a broker-dealer or regulated financial institution
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email email@example.com.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.