Away is growing quickly & we're hiring an entrepreneurial attorney to join our team. In this role, youll be responsible for supporting the critical legal work associated with developing, managing, protecting & enforcing our intellectual property & global brand across relevant substantive areas, such as utility patents, design patents, trade dress, licensing, & international trademarks. This position is based at our headquarters in Soho, New York City.
Some of what you'll do:
Be a strategic legal advisor to guide our intellectual property development & protection strategy
- Provide practical legal advice supporting business functions in the US & internationally, with an emphasis on the intellectual property aspects of physical product development & manufacturing around the world
- Support the development of new products by understanding & advising on the relevant IP landscape in light of Aways strategic goals
- Develop & operationalize policies, training, templates & workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks
- Develop & maintain expert current knowledge on new developments & legal guidance relevant to our business
Develop & execute a global brand protection monitoring, reporting & enforcement strategy
- Develop systems to monitor & enforce unauthorized brand usage & product sales globally
- Monitor, advise & act on potential infringement issues through pre-litigation & litigation activities
- Advise & regularly report on IP development & brand protection activities to Aways executive team
Partner with business teams & outside counsel on the prosecution of new intellectual property rights
- Be the central point of contact for the prosecution of new intellectual property, partnering with our product development & design teams & outside counsel to efficiently & effectively protect product innovations, & providing substantive guidance & drafting throughout the process.
- Draft & comment on intellectual property filings, office actions, communications, & other substantive materials.
- Manage IP prosecution workflows, reporting & budgeting.