When we launched the little white reader, we invented mobile, ubiquitous payments & enabled anyone to start, run, & grow a business. Ten years & billions of transactions later we're reimagining commerce for businesses of all types & sizes-we're enabling the independent electrician to send invoices, helping the beauty salon pay its employees, & giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, & fourth location. We're working to find new & better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square Invoices is the easiest way for merchants to close sales & collect payments remotely. Our customers rely on our products because they are well designed, easy to use, & integrated with their business. We are a full-stack product oriented team, spanning across engineering, design, product, & marketing. You'll have a seat at the table in roadmap & strategy decisions & will play a critical role in helping the team accomplish our industry leading growth goals.
Our team is focused, fast-moving, & rapidly growing with an abundance of growth & impact opportunities. We focus on building the best tools to help our merchants close sales & get paid quickly, anywhere, at anytime. At the same time, we are doing this in an efficient & scalable way, making smart choices about how to automate critical functions for our merchants.
The ideal candidate is a product-minded, server engineer who can take an idea from prototype to a cornerstone of our merchants' business operations.
Work closely with other engineers, designers, & product managers to design & build world-class product experiences.
Be responsible for the entirety of your features; including API design, implementation, automated testing, & rollout.
Own & drive the architecture of our backend systems.
Hold yourself, & your teammates accountable to the standards of engineering & ethics that enables Square to safely move billions of dollars in payments & allow our customers to trust us with their sensitive data.
Help empower a team of engineers by mentoring individuals, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, & leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the quality of design decisions & implementation by holding the team to a high standard.
- Strong execution skills, with a pragmatic focus on ROI, to deliver remarkable solutions to our merchants.
- The ability to adapt to the different stages of product development. This can mean building intentionally scrappy code to iterate quickly, or building a sustainable system that will support our product for years to come.
- An appreciation for the connection between the software you build & the experience it delivers to customers.
- Strong communication skills & ability to work cross-functionally with other functions, such as designers, product managers, data scientists, marketing, & business development to deliver a great product.
- Demonstrated, first hand experience building products at scale.
- Proficiency in at least one server-side language & an enthusiasm to learn others. Our engineers have all kinds of backgrounds & are encouraged to move freely across our technology stack.
- The ability to provide technical mentorship & guidance to engineers of varying experience levels.
- 6+ years professional experience in software engineering.
Languages & technologies we use & teach:
- Languages: Ruby, Java
- Frameworks: Rails, RSpec, Sidekiq, gRPC, Guice
- Infrastructure: MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka
At Square, our purpose is to empower - within & outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses & customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse & empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees & job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, & qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply & always consider qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name & preferred method of contact, & we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well & thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning & Development resources