BuzzFeed News seeks a senior copy editor for its English-language bureaus. We're looking for a news hound & self-professed word nerd who has a comprehensive knowledge of & passion for news language & standards, with a keen eye for grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, & all-around proper use of the English language.
Our ideal candidate is someone who has impeccable copyediting skills & great news judgment, can recite the days top headlines, is an internet & pop culture enthusiast, & knows how to edit copy for sensitivity, accuracy, inclusiveness, & consistency without losing tone or voice. They are also constantly thinking about the evolution of language in the internet era, recognizing when its important to deviate from the AP Stylebook & Merriam-Websters dictionary, & working in concert with editors to push & maintain the BuzzFeed Style Guide (@styleguide) as the voice of the internet.
Successful candidates will have at least five years experience as a copy editor for a digital media publisher & understand how to mentor & guide junior copy editors while responding to the needs of the newsroom.
This position will be based in New York.
- Oversee the copydesks workflow in the copy chiefs absence
- Maintain relationships with editors, reporters, curation, & producers around the newsroom
- Copyedit a wide variety of BuzzFeed News content breaking news, daily stories, essays, investigations, features, videos, graphics, & app/display copy for style, sensitivity, grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency, clarity, & concision
- Help maintain the BuzzFeed Style Guide & the copydesks internal resources, as well as grow its social media presence & newsletter readership
- Oversee, in concert with the copy chief, our monthly copydesk newsletter,Quibbles + Bits
- Monitor & manage corrections, updates, & standards across the newsroom
- At least 5 years copyediting experience at other digital media outlets and/or newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Demonstrated track record of thoughtful, careful, sensitive editing across various formats & platforms at the pace of the internet while juggling a variety of tasks
- Comprehensive knowledge of current affairs & pop culture, from reproductive rights & immigration to Fleabag.
- Proven ability to maintain style & standards for a global newsroom with a broad audience, as well as an understanding of the media landscape, journalism, & language trends to develop & improve workflow & copyediting techniques to better serve our staff & audience
- Outstanding communication & interpersonal skills, namely the ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, & tactfully
- Fluency in the language of the internet, as well as American, British, & other forms of regional English, & the Associated Press & Chicago style guides
- Experience working within a CMS & the ability to identify issues & develop new editing tools
- Familiarity with photo rights, & experience copyediting photo essays/galleries, credits, & captions for accuracy, relevance, & brevity a bonus.
- Your rsum andcover letter that explains why you're the right person for the job & your ideas about language & editing
- Any personal social accounts you think we should see
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment & celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth & development via work experience & offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, & more
An attractive compensation package, including salary & equity
A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA & NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media & tech company delivering news & entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world & more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, & more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, & hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, youll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools & create content that helps connect people all over the world.