Who We Are
The Farmers Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. We recently raised our Series C, bringing our total funding to over $100M. We're backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, & Glossier, & are aiming to build a company as healthy as the dogs we feed.
Join The Farmers Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, & much-needed change to the way people feed & care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
The Director, External Manufacturing will be responsible for leading & advising all aspects of Contract Manufacturing for all TFD Contract Manufactures (CoMan), in full alignment with TFD Manufacturing Strategy. In this role you will provide a consistent & sustainable approach to the selection of CoMan, start-up new products (or renovate existing products) & maintain ongoing CoMan relationships. You'll be accountable for ensuring compliance of CoMan contracts including renovation/innovation, cost management, capacity management, capital projects & ensuring the Contract Manufacturers meet or exceed standards developed & audited by TFD Food Safety, Quality & Regulatory (FSQR), Finance & other functional areas. You will also strategically secure resources & effectively communicate priorities by coordinating efforts between Marketing, R&D, Manufacturing, Procurement & Product Supply departments.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Handle the most complicated & meaningful relationships with minimal direction, demonstrating experience & credibility to influence at all levels of both the CoMan & the TFD organization.
- Build a performance vision & develop strategies for Contract Manufacturers that reflect business tactics & strategic needs.
- Assess supplier performance & proactively ensures quality, service, & cost objectives are achieved through coaching & influence management.
- Develop processes, procedures & controls to ensure compliance with the company's contracts (financial standards & yields, quality standards & regulations, production & shipping reporting, operational excellence, capacity requirements, etc.).
- Perform market analysis, using benchmarks (internal/external), supplier segmentation, trends in technology, & cost modeling.
- Mentor internal partners on supplier interactions to drive effective execution.
- Accountable for Product Commercialization projects to ensure specifications are established prior to production & all parameters are achieved during the qualification, verification & commercialization steps.
- Project sponsor on key manufacturing projects, e.g., new product introduction, product renovation, rationalization of facilities.
- Accountable for CoMan Key Performance Indicators for quality, food safety, customer service & financial reporting.
- Approve & support execution of strategies to improve performance.
- Serve as support for achieving Operational savings at Contract Manufacturer facilities & ensure that savings are tracked according to expectations through validation to implementation.
- Ensure proper resource allocation (internal & external) is provided for successful implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Independently manage sophisticated and/or strategically significant projects through execution, ensuring critical success criteria are met.
- Responsible for developing & executing complex negotiation strategies independently.
- Manage a staff of External Manufacturing Managers & support organizations.
- Develop staff by providing accurate & reflective individual insights, learning & development resources, & experimental growth opportunities.
- Lead cross functional teams including Procurement, Forecasting, Finance, T&W, Quality & other organizations in delivery of results.
We're Excited About You Because
- 15+ years of food related manufacturing with direct experience in operations, quality assurance, supply chain management, contract negotiations, finance, & manufacturing procedures.
- Multiyear plant experience in a direct production leadership role, having developed significant & diverse management experience.
- Significant experience delivering results in Contract Manufacturing leading complex relationships.
- A phenomenal teammate; able to use strong communication, analytical & leadership skills to lead a diverse group forward.
- Strong project management experience, preferably leading product innovation/renovation.
- Proficient computer skills Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, & Access) & Google Docs (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms)
- Open to required travel; 30% - 50% as needed.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (upon a safe return-to-office!)
- Market-competitive compensation & equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, & Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Flexible PTO & WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Strict daily belly rub quota