Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Science Vs, Homecoming, & The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, & business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other & the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. Were proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
Gimlet Projects is the division of Gimlet Media that works with Spotify to develop & create new original series. We are a highly collaborative group of producers, sound engineers, editors, & composers who work with creative stakeholders across Spotify & Gimlet.
Were looking for someone with narrative audio editing experience who knows how to structure & write through stories. This is a person who has experience with show concepting & development, & can work across different genres & show styles (ex: narrative, 1:1 interview, panel discussion, etc.). They will bring stories to life for listeners as well as work closely with producers to implement feedback from creative stakeholders within Gimlet & Spotify.
The ideal editor is able to create engaging narratives while internalizing the desired outcome of the projects at hand. They will work closely with the lead producers of shows & will be able to edit at least two shows at any given time. Their role is to be the ultimate guardian of the story, of its quality, & craft.
What Youll Do
- Guide show teams toward ambitious stories, help them refine big ideas, & push for the best possible finished product
- Work closely with show teams to develop show concepts, pitches, & ideas -- from the conceit of an entire season to the arc of a single episode
- Coach & guide producers through the editorial process from first tape-gathering, one-on-one writing sessions, scoring & mix notes, to the final polish
- Work closely with other Gimlet Projects editors to maintain the standard of editorial expectations
- Work with host talent at all levels of experience
What You Have
- 5+ years of experience editing or story producing longform journalism; audio is a major plus
- A deep comfort & proficiency in structuring & editing non-linear, narrative pieces
- Experience with new show development & concepting
- A proven knack for coaching, mentoring, & helping others develop in their careers
- Exceptional communication skills across the board
- An ability to jump between projects & teams & contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context
- Excellent taste & a strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing
- Creativity & the desire to take chances
This is a full-time role, based in our Brooklyn, NY offices. To apply, please submit a resume & cover letter. In a separate document, we'd also love links to 2-3 pieces of work that you've directly edited or produced, with a brief explanation of your role in bringing each piece to its final form.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.