Android Engineer, Digital English Venture
Reports to: Head of Engineering, Global Digital English Venture
Location: Hammersmith or White City, London
We are a brand new EdTech venture looking to make waves in the English language teaching & assessment world. We want to democratise language training & assessment, putting valuable content within reach of anyone with a mobile device & a hunger to prove or improve their skills.
Our technological stack is pretty open right now. We have an Android app authored in Java, & a backend written in Python running on Googles Cloud Platform. Like every other tech startup on the planet, we think that machine learning is going to play a fundamental part in our future.
So, how do you know if youre right for this job? Well, were not looking for pure domain specialists. Were looking for generalists - people who have dabbled in a lot of languages & technologies, in disparate industries, & who love to solve problems. At the end of the day, thats what its all about: solving problems. Not which languages or platforms we choose.
An interest in how people learn languages, & teaching in general, would be advantageous because thats our domain.
Who are we?
We are an EdTech venture thats still in stealth mode. Were part of the Blenheim Chalcot family. We want to democratise language training & assessment, putting valuable content within reach of anyone with a mobile device & a hunger to prove or improve their skills.
We have veterans of the tech & business worlds, & were looking to expand our team.
Who are you?
You are an Android developer with a handful of published apps, at least one of which pushes the envelope in terms of features & execution. We dont want to build an app that just functions, we want to build an app that delights.
What are we building?
We have a conventional architecture of Database - Python API - Android application. Its enabled us to launch small pilot tests & experiments with users. Were now ready to grow the features & performance of the app, & thats where you come in.
What skills & experience should you have?
- Launched an Android app within the last year or two
- Familiar with using the latest & greatest functionality
- ...but always with an eye on the Compatibility Libraries.
Is there other experience that might be useful?
- Working with designers, UX & a wider app team
- Developing apps to be used outside Europe & the US.
- Using data to iterate & improve an app or product
- Knowledge of teaching or learning other spoken languages
- Knowing when to build perfectly, & when good-enough is good enough for now.
- Embracing & accepting the changes that inevitably happen in a start-up environment.
- Never stop looking for a better way of doing things; be curious
- Building businesses is fast-paced & fluid; be nimble
- Sharing knowledge & networks builds better businesses; be generous
- Understand getting the best out of people is better for everyone; be supportive
- The best ideas arent always your own; seek diversity
- Decisions should be driven by analytics & customer insight; embrace data.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to build a global mobile application with ambitions to acquire millions of users, from scratch.
- Chance to be a part of, impact & learn from the UKs leading digital venture builder
- The right mix of challenges, learning & development opportunities
- Dynamic start-up environment
- Fair salary & discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible Benefits: Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries
- Free fruit every day
We are part of Blenheim Chalcot, which is the UKs leading digital venture builder. Blenheim Chalcot builds tech start-ups that are geared to disrupt & transform sectors -- & invest more than just funds, they invest knowledge & experience, ideas & infrastructure. These ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries covering FinTech, EdTech, Media, Sport & more.
It is a cohesive group & we have a strong culture built around curious, engaging & innovative people. Working alongside entrepreneurs & co-founders, we support our ventures from start-up to scale to exit, giving them access to the global networks & services they need to grow.
The portfolio represents sales of over 300 million, 500 million of assets under management, more than 3,000 employees & a successful track record of over 40 companies. We host our start-ups in our incubator spaces located in Hammersmith & White City, home to a buzzing mix of fast growth digital start-ups. We currently have 19 companies in the portfolio which vary in stage from seed to international scale.
Our EdTech venture is the result of Blenheim Chalcot partnering with the most recognised international brand in English language testing & teaching.
We will invite candidates into our own Hammersmith incubator; a 30,000sft venture hub office based in Hammersmith, home to a mix of BC digital start-ups. This will be an opportunity to meet with our Head of Engineering, before meeting other members of the team & our CEO at final stage.
We recognise that interviewing can be time consuming. We will not set any homework or artificial technical tests. We can accomodate the need to interview outside office hours. We believe in multiple people interviewing sequentially, against a consistent scorecard, so that we can quantitatively & consistently evaluate candidates.
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. Our offices are accessible to most peple & we will happily give more information or adapt to help meet your needs.