Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients & suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3BN from investors that include Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, DST & Softbank.
With 1,500+ employees in three continents, our team is as global as our client base & were excited to continue building a product & service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, youre guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, & resourceful team members.
The Legal department has grown alongside the business & we're looking for the next addition to our legal team -- a great lawyer who will lead corporate transactions & manage corporate governance for the Company & its global corporate structure.
As Corporate Counsel, youll join a small & mighty global team & report to the General Counsel. You will partner with executives & senior business leaders to ensure the Companys compliance with securities regulations, negotiate strategic transactions for the Company, lead integration of newly acquired businesses & business lines, & lead corporate governance for the Company & its global corporate structure.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills & an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal & business teams.
Lead M&A, Strategic Transactions & Integration:
- Review & negotiate strategic transactions (M&A; complex commercial agreements) including negotiation & review of all definitive deal documents & diligence (SPAs, APAs, ancillaries (escrow agreements, paying agent agreements & other related transactional agreements); disclosure schedules)
- Conduct & oversee due diligence in M&A & strategic transactions
- Supervise outside counsel & effectively manage their costs
- Partner with Executives & senior business leaders to explore acquisition & investment prospects & to execute transactions
- Advise, support & coach the business on risk, negotiating points & agreement structures in strategic transactions
- Serve as a trusted advisor & business partner across the company by providing counsel & guidance for accomplishing Flexports overall business objectives
- Lead legal integration of newly acquired companies & business product lines post-closing of strategic acquisitions
Lead Corporate Governance Function:
- Lead the corporate governance & entity management function for all corporate entities globally (board & shareholder resolutions & actions; annual filings; management of registered agent; etc)
- Coordinate with & manage in-house paralegals & external registered agents & reporting services in the corporate governance functions
Lead Regulatory & SEC Reporting:
- Lead all Exchange Act matters, including SEC reporting, registration statements, proxy statements, matters relating to annual shareholder meeting
- Lead all public listing requirements, whether FINRA, NASDAQ, NYSE listing & governance
- Liaise with & advise Investor Relations, Public Relations & Communications teams on periodic SEC reporting & other projects
- Manage all insider trading compliance, including Section 16 & 10b5-1 trading plans
- Work with People team, Finance team & Stock Admin team on equity compensation matters including all SEC reporting
- Board of Directors support including D&O Questionnaires, reviews of conflicts of interest; etc)
- Support Tax team, Finance team & Controller in annual financial audits & various global business projects (including corporate restructuring, expansion, various inter-company agreements)
You should have:
- JD & bar admission to practice
- Minimum 4+ years of law firm experience in corporate & securities matters, with at least 2+ years in a major US law firm
- Public company reporting experience & knowledge of 1933 & 1934 Acts, Reg FD & SEC & NYSE rules applicable to publicly-traded companies
- Experience in capital markets, public company counsel, public or private M&A; public company corporate governance matters; specific experience with technology transactions & IP issues is a plus
- In-house experience is ideal but not required; in-house at a technology company is a plus
- Impeccable written & oral communication skills, & extremely high attention to detail
- Excellent legal & business judgment
- A passion for closing deals
- Ability to assess risk & provide sound, commercially-minded legal advice to Executives & senior business leaders on structure of M&A transactions
- The ability to work on your own & prioritize multiple, often competing deliverables while managing expectations & meeting deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal skills & the ability to coordinate effectively & gain trust & confidence with personnel at many different levels
- The ability to work as a team player of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous & accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across deal types & time zones
- Excitement for interacting with both internal clients & colleagues, as well as external parties (counsel, strategic partners, auditors, regulators, investors, principals at potential targets), while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, & thorough manner
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding & why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination & shipment of goods from one place to another & its what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world & break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.