Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clientsincluding more than 50% of the Fortune 100choose Foursquare.
Foursquares toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual & Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze & identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter & Uber; & optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 400 employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Singapore & London. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc, & then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners & more.
About the Team
The data engineering team owns critical pieces of the machine learning & analytics platforms. You will build data processing infrastructure to derive insights from billions of location data points every day. You will collaborate with Product, Engineering, & Data Science teams to create tools & processes to bring research & machine learning models to production.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Influence key decisions on architecture & implementation of scalable data processing & analytics structure
- Work with the Data Science team to bring machine learning models into production
- Build Hadoop MapReduce & Spark processing pipelines using Java, Python, & Ruby
- Build REST APIs for data access by systems across our infrastructure
- Focus on performance, throughput, & latency, & drive these throughout our architecture
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, & take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Mentor junior engineering staff
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- 4-7 years of software development experience
- Proficiency in Python, Java, C#, and/or Ruby
- 3+ years of experience with Hadoop MapReduce and/or Spark data processing pipelines, analytics systems (e.g. OLAP, BI tools), & machine learning technologies
- Experience operating systems in AWS
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify & communicate data-driven insights
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.