Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Conversion Team's goal is to show our users how Codecademy can help them, on their first visit. We help our learners understand what Codecademy has to offer, & guide them to find & enroll in the right learning experience within our products. We work with experimentation frameworks, & use heavily the data we collect, to find new ways of acquiring users, & shipping experiments to improve our user experience.
If youre passionate about helping more people learn technical skills & finding the right way & time to introduce them to our products, this is the team for you.
In this role, you will motivate & inspire your team to work on interesting projects related to scalability, reliability, & security as we deliver products & features that empower our learners around the world. You will need to execute on project goals by being a technical resource to your engineers as well as actively contributing to our learner experience. Clear communication as an Engineering Manager is key as you will not only be leading your specific team but collaborating across engineering teams within the company.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Hire & build an engineering team that is driven by the mission & vision that you champion for the team
- Work with individual engineers to define career goals & align their ambitions with relevant projects & tasks
- Guide your team on architecting & authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements & automation
- Help Improving the scalability & efficiency of our infrastructure
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3+ years of management experience with at least five engineers
- Previous experience hiring technical talent
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Experience developing web applications using Ruby on Rails, or similar frameworks
- Experience in performance management & career goal setting
- Experience working with cross functional teams
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience leading Product & Design heavy projects
- Creating Roadmaps & defining success metrics
- Stakeholder negotiation
- Strong empathy & adaptability
- Experience with more than one management methodology Scrum, XP, & other methodologies
- Coaching & Mentorship
- Experience utilizing Codecademys Platform
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.