Engineer, Machine Learning Platform
New York, NY, Seattle, WA, Columbus, OH, Remote
WHO WE ARE:
The tech team builds the systems & apps that communicate with our customers, warehouses, customer service, payment providers, & more. In short, we create & manage the systems that keep the business running and, more importantly, make dogs happy. We work collaboratively (no such thing as a dumb question) & scientifically (test & measure whenever we can), while taking the work--but not ourselves--too seriously. We generally work on squads of engineers, product designers, data analysts, QA & product management. We also work closely with stakeholders throughout the company to get things done. We see technology as a means to an end; we love solving problems & making the most of our time!
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR:
Are you looking for an opportunity to develop a data & machine learning platform & tooling that will help Bark in its mission to create the world's best products & experiences for dogs?
We're seeking a senior engineer to work on machine learning platforms (GCP Vertex AI), custom tooling & infrastructure. As an ML Platform Engineer, you'll help design, build & implement our platform for the end-to-end machine learning lifecycle: rapid prototyping; model training; hyperparameter optimization, deploying, monitoring, a/b testing & governing models in production. You will work closely with our ML engineers, Data Scientists & product teams to further develop our capabilities in a manner that is easy to use, performant & secure.
- Spec, design & build tools & implement platform services to speed up the iteration cycle of machine learning engineers & data scientists, for example:
- Google Vertex, Kubernetes & Airflow based ML lifecycle platform
- Model management, monitoring, & deployment tools
- Work extensively with ML engineers & Data Scientists to understand their requirements, pain points, & build generalized solutions.
- Work with product teams to ensure preformant, scalable & secure connectivity between the ML serving platform & products throughout Bark.
- Spec, design & implement tooling to support the rapid, secure & scalable deployment of Kubernetes services which interface with production systems, including for low-latency use cases.
- Experience bringing machine learning models into production.
- (Optional) Experience/familiarity with one of the mature or emerging ML platforms in the industry such as Google Vertex, Kubeflow, Google AI Platform, Sagemaker, TFX, MLFlow
- Ability to drive cross-team projects; understand our internal customers (ML practitioners), their common usage patterns & pain points, & design solutions
- Flexibility to work across different areas: tool building, platform customization, infrastructure optimization, requirements gathering, etc.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in software engineering
- Excellent communication & collaboration skills
- Fluency in Python with the ability to write readable, modular, production-quality code
- Strong Kubernetes fluency (preferably in a GCE environment)
- Strong software design skills
- Experience in the end to end design of data engineering solutions
- Creative problem solver who focuses on improving business & product
- Entrepreneurial attitude - self-starter
- (Preferred) Fluency in AWS cloud services (Redshift, EKS)
- (Preferred) Fluency in GCP cloud services (GCE, BigQuery, Dataproc, Pub/Sub)
- (Optional) Fluency in Spark (Pyspark, Databricks, Dataproc)
- (Optional) Fluency in data lake & data warehouse design, operations & implementation
The candidate need not possess these skills coming in, but would be encouraged & have the opportunity to grow into these areas over time, & recognized as an especially strong applicant if he or she had competence in any of:
- Experience with Batch Management Systems, such as Airflow or Luigi
- Knowledge of Machine Learning concepts, applications, & libraries; Scikit-learn, Tensorflow
- Startup experience at an internet-based company
- Streaming / event-driven / CEP architecture, design & implementation
- Bigtable / HBase information architecture, design & implementation
This position is a full-time, salaried position. BARK currently has offices in NYC & Columbus, Ohio, but for the right candidates working remotely is also an option. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family