At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether were helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community & a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, & build their careers.
As a senior front-end engineer at Stack Overflow, youll work closely with the Design Systems Lead on our design system, Stacks. There youll create & ship thoughtful, highly performant, reusable components to Stack Overflows developers & users across all its products. Youll be responsible for anything from the larger technical choices (frameworks, package delivery), to implementation (building & documenting individual components). Youll also work with other designers, engineers, & product managers on ongoing user interface refactors to migrate existing front-end to our shared Stacks library. Some recent projects we've been working on include:
- Our newest products, Stack Overflow for Teams & for Enterprise, which give organizations a private, secure home for their teams questions & answers.
- New experiments on Stack Overflow Talent & Advertising to help companies reach & engage developers with job & advertising opportunities.
- Continuous improvements to Stack Exchange & Stack Overflow including tools, UX improvements, & features for community members & moderators alike.
- Developing internal tools to automate time-consuming processes for other developers & members of the company & community.
Skills & Requirements
What youll do:
- Help vet current & future front-end technology choices & best practices for building Stack Overflow & Stacks.
- Build & document individual Stacks components as defined in our roadmap.
- Maintain & refactor existing, mature Stacks components.
- Lead refactors of the Stack Overflow codebase to use Stacks components.
- Identify pain points in our front-end tooling & workflow & help deliver improvements.
- Help hire & lead additional front-end developers across the company.
- Work with the larger engineering team to evangelize & unblock developers working on their daily tasks.
Technologies youll work with (for now):
- Documentation pages are built using 11ty & published via Netlify.
- We pre-process our CSS with Less. Outside of our components, we use atomic CSS.
- Youll be interacting with our core codebases, which are .NET MVC using Razor views.
What we want to see:
- Youve been doing this for a few years, ideally at or near Stack Overflows scale.
- Youve helped lead fellow developers.
- Experience in multi-tenant environments. We ship a single design system across a few products.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Experience building, shipping, & advocating for accessible components.
- Youre highly organized & have the ability to work independently.
- A passion for beautiful user interfaces & great user experiences. You might have even considered being a designer at some point.
Also note: If this job interests you but you arent certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
Were a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), youll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While were generally very flexible on working hours, living & working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling & interaction with your team. We also believe in strong work-life balance & are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.
What youll get in return:
In the United States, benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, & unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check & upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company & better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can & we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.