Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
Foursquares flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact & drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest & real-world behavior patterns (Places & Visits), & tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification & visualization (Unfolded Studio). As the industrys first & only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions those that exist today & those we have yet to build.
About the Position:
Foursquare is looking for a Senior Commercial Counsel to join our Legal team. Reporting to the head of Commercial Legal, the Senior Commercial Counsel will be responsible for many day-to-day legal issues facing the company. This individual will frequently interact with the Sales & Business Development teams, as well as with members of the Product & Engineering teams. The ideal candidate will leverage their experience as a seasoned transactional attorney to draft, review, & negotiate complex agreements & to provide clear & effective legal advice to the business. Prior experience in technology product counseling and/or an understanding of current privacy issues is strongly preferred, but not required.
If youre looking for an opportunity to make a significant impact from day one (and have a lot of fun partnering with the business), then Foursquares legal team may be the place for you! Foursquare offers a fully-flexible remote/in-person workplace, but proximity to one of our offices in NY, LA, SF, Seattle or Chicago & a willingness to work on an ET-based schedule is preferred based on current team needs.
In this role, you'll:
- Reviewing, drafting, & negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements & amendments, including master services, licensing, professional services, marketing, partnership & vendor agreements;
- Identifying legal & regulatory issues in product initiatives & customer agreements, including awareness of privacy & data security issues, & working cross-functionally with the appropriate teams to create solutions & minimize risk;
- Engaging strategically in risk assessment/mitigation & developing innovative approaches to legal issues in support of business objectives;
- Providing practical, creative legal advice on a broad range of topics in a fast-paced, high growth environment;
- Working closely with the teams charged with generating business & proactively establishing relationships across the legal team & with other departments including Operations, Marketing, Finance, Product, & Engineering; and
- Assisting with corporate, M&A, & other legal matters as requested.
What you'll need:
- 7+ years of legal experience, preferably with experience being part of an in-house legal department & working remotely with distributed teams;
- Strong academic credentials, including a Juris Doctor degree & membership in good standing in at least one state bar (New York or California preferred);
- Experience drafting & negotiating complex commercial agreements, including licensing agreements (data licensing, SaaS agreements, etc.);
- Business judgment & ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice;
- Highly detail-oriented, reliable, responsive & organized self-starter with the ability to thrive & perform at a high level in a remote environment with minimal oversight;
- Ability to act as a legal advisor & partner, providing insight & advice in conversations with the sales & BD teams;
- A team-player mindset with the ability to work collaboratively across various functions & with colleagues at all levels;
- Proven resourcefulness with solid problem-solving & communication skills & demonstrated ability to learn quickly & dive into a wide variety of challenging tasks;
- Growth mindset with a strong desire to grow professionally, upskill, learn about new products, technologies & processes, & remain agile & adaptable; and
- Enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally & working on cutting-edge legal issues.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Familiarity with technology, IP and/or privacy is a plus;
- Proficiency with Google Suite & CLM & CRM solutions, such as IronClad, Salesforce, DocuSign, Box or similar;
- Experience in a technology and/or start-up company environment; and
- Experience with international commercial transactions.
Benefits & Perks:
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Learning & development programs from ICs to managers
- Individual professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life & pet insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Gym, fitness & wellness benefits
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
- And much more!
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.