As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The role of the Chief of Staff is to extend the CFOs internal & external reach, align the accounting, finance & office operations divisions leadership team on priority initiatives & special projects, & strengthen the divisions management team relationships across Vox Media. The Chief of Staff acts as a thought partner to the CFO & a part of an organization's leadership team. This person is expected to participate in senior level decision-making within the CFO organization structure (and be responsible for scaling & operationalizing key decisions).
What you'll do:
- Align division management & team on priority initiatives & special projects.
- Ensure Finances senior leaders [this orgs senior leaders] have a unified, aligned approach to cross-functional initiatives.
- Keep FP&A & Accounting leadership organized & moving forward in the execution of high-priority, cross-functional initiatives through coordinated project plans.
- Create space for leaders & managers to have strategic conversations about the business & culture.
- Prioritize & form key messages & next steps from a stream of CFO ideas, meetings, & conversations.
- Develop plans for communicating key messages throughout the organization.
- Support CFO with the management & execution of priority/special projects.
- Continue to enhance & execute a strategic diversity, equity, & inclusion (DEI) plan for the department, aligned with a multi-year company DEI strategy & work already being done on the team & across the company.
- Run key operating functions for the overall [finance & accounting] departments & [the] leadership team.
- Maintain & improve our division-wide, leadership, & departmental communication systems, including company priorities, network & lines of business LOB plans, department all-hands, team, building etc.
- Maintain & improve best practices for how the finance department works, communicates, & serves as both a partner & service function to the company.
- Coordinate & evaluate how finance management should spend their time together, including running the weekly/monthly meetings, offsites, & social gatherings.
- Be a thought partner to leadership on the organizations vision, priorities, challenges, & team.
- Extend CFOs internal & external reach.
- Track on divisions priority initiatives that are being driven by leaders throughout the organization & report back on progress to CFO.
- Act as the communication arm for CFO with other executives in the organization, other Chiefs of Staff /Operations leaders, clients or major stakeholders.
- Write first drafts of proposals, emails, letters, agendas, etc for CFO.
- Help CFO prioritize time & appointments.
- Build relationships across the organization at all levels.
- Be an organizational listener & support device through formal & informal channels.
- Provide insight to the CFO about what her team & the divisions need from her.
- Leads & tracks on initiatives as proxy for CFO as necessary/appropriate.
The ideal candidate is:
- Fluent in financial terms & processes (for example, has had some experience in investment banking or financial services, or in an in-house finance function).
- An experienced project manager who enjoys building a project plan & timeline & executing on it with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Interested in systems organization, & building & maintaining strong & diverse teams.
- Has experience managing not only projects but also executives & teams.
- A strong communicator.
- Highly emotionally intelligent.
- Able to maintain confidentiality & exercise high discretion & sound judgement.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.