BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news & entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, & original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News & HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed Books is looking for an editor & writer to lead our Books coverage. You are a passionate book lover who is smart, informed, & creative with an interest in different genres, especially young adult fiction. We're looking for someone experienced, enthusiastic, enterprising, & unpretentious who wants to reach people who love to read.
You will report to the Executive Editor of Culture & helm BuzzFeed Books coverage, while working with other teams across the company to oversee the fantastic books coverage BuzzFeed creates that our readers want. The Books editor has thoughtful ideas about how to connect as many readers as possible with the books they will love. That means growing the already engaged book audience in inventive ways & deepening their relationship with our recommendations. You are excited by the challenge of growing our newsletter membership, activating our already engaged book audience, & looking for revenue opportunities that respect editorial integrity.
The Books editor will also work with the BuzzFeed News culture desk to publish excerpts from forthcoming books, cover book news, while also editing high-quality personal essays from well-known authors & new writers alike.
This job is based in our New York office.
- Create posts celebrating books & reading, written for all kinds of readers.
- Edit & provide feedback on a variety of post types from the BuzzFeed staff.
- Identify trends & develop a plan for book coverage that taps into what people are reading & sharing, no matter what genre.
- Experiment with a variety of post types & work with other teams at BuzzFeed to evolve our book coverage.
- Build relationships with publishing houses & literary agencies, including working with their presence on our community platform, receiving & covering new books, & arranging for exclusive coverage.
- Grow the BuzzFeed Books presence on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Help manage the BuzzFeed Books newsletter.
- Help work with the sales & newsletter teams to help identify revenue opportunities for the Books Newsletter & through affiliate links & sponsorships.
- 4+ years editing experience
- Experience creating book-related content that people love
- Experience using data to inform editorial & packaging decisions
- Awareness of new trends in the literary world
- Existing relationships with authors, publishers, independent bookstores
- Social media presence in online book communities such as Goodreads
- Experience working with sales teams on revenue opportunities
- Desire to connect readers with books they want to buy
- Experience in e-commerce or understanding of the books consumer space
Just because you dont meet every requirement doesnt mean we dont want to hear from you. If you think youd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.