BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
Business Area: Content
Job Category: Operations
Salary: 425-450/day USD
Union Status: Non Union
BuzzFeed is committed to fair & equitable compensation practices. We reserve the ability to adjust the final compensation for this role based on the final candidate's experience, skillset, certifications, & geography.
BuzzFeed is looking for a Studio Technology Supervisor to join our New York City Production Technology team. This role will report to the Production Technology Manager. They are responsible for resourcing internal crew, running the control room, & troubleshooting as issues arise. They will also maintain vendor relationships as needed, & report comprehensive expenditures & forecast upcoming needs to upper management.
- Be responsible for supervising the video operations equipment.
- Run control room for recurring shows as well as live events.
- Organize & prioritize studio needs, while keeping to a tight production schedule.
- Be able to work out creative solutions for production overlap.
- Have excellent time management skills, & be able to adapt quickly to scheduling changes and/or studio priorities.
- Resource freelance equipment coordinators, livestream specialists.
- Upkeep a database of vendors to ensure the department is able to supply gear as needed by productions.
- Maintain all automated processes that facilitate production, including live streaming, encoding, signal processing, technical directing, & planning/budgeting databases.
- Research physical production vendors - prepare assessments on offerings, relationship to vendors, & untapped partnership opportunities / cost savings.
- Administrate all platforms required for workflow, including vMix, remote access software, & other industry standard production & livestream software. Train new users on said software.
- Lead new hardware tests & software solutions that help increase savings, efficiency, & quality.
- Work closely with IT to forecast & cover ProdTechs ever-growing technology needs.
- 3+ years experience in broadcast-quality production environments, with emphasis on image & audio capture & distribution
- 2+ years working in or directly with an equipment room or rental house
- 2+ years working directly with vendors & equipment orders
- Deeply knowledgeable of production signal processing, including video village, logs & LUTs, standard resolution & framerate
- Experience shooting video with Canon, Sony, & Black Magic Design Cameras
- Knowledge of standard audio gear including lavs, booms, various types of microphones, wireless transmitters, etc
- Proficient knowledge of live stream & control room workflows, including routers, switchers, graphics systems, comms equipment, KVM, wireless capture, remote monitoring, livestream studio software (OBS, Vmix, etc), modern audience engagement practices
- Knowledge of shared storage systems, such as SAN or NAS is a plus
- Experience coordinating databases with REST APIs is a plus
- Must be able to work from our NYC office
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.