The Executive Producer, News Originals, will be responsible for the creation & execution of a comprehensive original video journalism & issue-based storytelling strategy for NowThis. Keen at identifying stories with news value, the EP will generate plans for growth & the development of new, ownable content ideas, whether in studio or in the field, with a focus on mission-driven work. Working with current NowThis leadership, the EP will identify opportunities to grow NowThis presence & impact with short, mid & long form content. Specifically, the EP of News Originals will develop a content strategy, borne out of the existing newsroom & beyond, identifying stories that are best told across multiple platforms & formats. They will manage the News Originals team & further develop talent both in front of & behind the camera. This person will develop one-off & series ideas based on key issues that resonate most deeply with the NowThis audience. They will also work with leadership to create strong opportunities for partnerships. This position is a dual report into the Chief Content Officer & Editor of NowThis.
*Please include multiple work samples & identify your role in the content. Please also submit three professional references*
- Develop & execute a content strategy for NowThis News Originals.
- Ensure production values & editing styles maintain the NowThis brand but with special attention to what works for longer formats on various OTT, streaming & linear platforms
- Develop & own NowThis News Originals approach to weekly originally reported stories.
- Work with newsroom to expand original reporting skills
- Identify new series ideas, in collaboration with newsroom leadership & EP, Originals
- Develop & grow existing On Camera Talent, identifying opportunities for current team members, as well as sourcing new talent for our content & partnerships
- Work closely with Social Publishing & Audience Development team to develop best-in-class publishing strategy for News Originals, across all platforms.
- Ensure work is journalistic-ally sound & in keeping with NowThis' standards & practices, portrayed fairly, in our voice, & on brand.
- Maintain team budget, recruit & manage a growing team
- At least 5 years of professional, journalistic experience
- Proven ability to build, manage & lead high functioning teams
- Ability & desire to guide & mentor producers in shaping their pitches & stories
- Experience with various styles of reporting & video creation (digital-first, TV, social-only, longform, live, episodic or serial)
- Strong editorial judgement
- Strong writing, editing & storytelling skills
- Shooter/producer/editor experience a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in video editing, Adobe Premiere a plus
- Ability to multi-task & work under pressure with a strong sense of humor
- Attention to detail & accuracy is a must
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies & the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] & reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) & Seeker (the digital leader in science & curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion & Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, & much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.