Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring an Engineering Manager for Web/Mobile to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
You will manage the engineering team building engaging web & mobile experiences for members who are looking to find doctors & plan out their medical care. Example projects below:
- Building tools that leverage our claims system & allow users to estimate the full cost of care for medical procedures before they even set foot in a doctor's office
- Working with product, designers, & multiple engineering teams to redesign our provider search experience to be visually pleasing, easily configurable, & highly usable
- Using our experimentation platform to iteratively develop new features that encourage users to utilize low cost, high quality care options, like our brand-new virtual primary care offering
Management at Oscar:
People managers are also technical leaders at Oscar its part of our cultural identity. As such, we aim to support managers such that half of their time can be spent directly making technical contributions on architectural plans, helpful code reviews, & writing their own code. A manager doesnt have to be the strongest technical contributor on their team, but we expect managers to produce technical work at a senior level & to have a sense of what good technical performance looks like, at both the individual & team levels.
If people management is not for you, we support a parallel career track focusing on technical leadership without the management responsibilities. You can be a tech lead for a team or large project without being a manager, though the roles often overlap.
- Mentorship. Ensure everyone on your team is getting clear, constructive, & frequent feedback on their work & that they have the support they need to grow as technical contributors.
- Career development. Understand the aspirations of your teammates & help them to lead the work they are most passionate about.
- Team execution. You manage the performance of your team, which can be minimally defined as ensuring the right goals for the team are established, & that they are met at the right time. But wed really like you to help your team excel.
You wont be on your own. Engineering management is an important & complex role that we take very seriously at Oscar & we support each other to do it well.
- You have 6+ years of software engineering experience, including prior management experience.
- You make the people & teams around you better through mentorship, collaboration, & guiding developers towards best practices.
- You believe that team performance is even more important than individual performance, & have experience managing high-functioning teams.
- You understand the inclusion part of Diversity & Inclusion & can help us maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is an essential ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.