ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We're looking for an experienced mentor & leader to join theSkimm's Tech team as a Senior Software Engineer on the Backend team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what's coming.
Reporting to the Director of Backend Engineering, you'll be responsible for designing & building our core APIs & infrastructure, which support all our products & services across several platforms. You'll help set the direction of our technical decisions, & lead engineering squads as they develop & refine our systems. You'll collaborate closely with our Frontend, Mobile & Data teams, as well as our Operations, Editorial, & Marketing teams who leverage the data & services you will create.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 6 or more years of industry experience building scalable, secure & resilient API endpoints & databases
- Experience with CI/CD techniques & tools, including CircleCI, GitHub Actions, & the related processes that support them
- Familiarity with container architectures
- Familiarity with key components of the AWS suite of tools (EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, Route 53, & others)
- Eagerness & ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting & discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Demonstrated experience mentoring other developers, including reviewing code contributions for clarity & efficiency, & giving constructive, supportive feedback
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Demonstrated experience with Ruby on Rails & Python
- Experience in content delivery architectures & related businesses
- Experience in securing & managing sensitive data & PII
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.