Pivotals Story VIDEO
Pivotal Software combines platform, tools, & methodology to help the worlds largest companies transform the way they build software & run their most strategic applications. Our technology is used by Global 2000 companies & developers to make software development & IT operations a strategic advantage. Founded in 2013, Pivotal unleashes software-developer productivity & creates an environment for innovation to scale, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
You understand enterprise customer expectations of the technical support experience & judge your success by the success of your team & the happiness of your customers. Youre interested in working directly with enterprise clients to replicate, troubleshoot, & resolve their technical issues & work well under pressure, helping people in urgent, high impact situations. You thoughtfully assist each customer by listening, connecting the dots, documenting the situation & solution, & escalating when appropriate. You understand the value of sharing knowledge & contribute regularly to the customer knowledge base and/or support community & engage more experienced team members & product engineering teams as needed.
You are interested in improving yourself, our support systems & products by continuously training, reporting defects, & collaborating effectively with a diverse & talented team of colleagues.
You are also a US citizen, allowing you to work with our US government customers.
In Pivotal Support, we are passionate about providing our software customers with the highest level of service. We foster a culture of innovation & adaptability, redefining customer support in new & exciting ways. We are not a typical technical support organization.
To support the many products & technologies that make up the Pivotal Cloud Foundry platform, we have built a diverse & inclusive team of exceptional engineers across the globe. Collectively, we are experienced software developers, DevOps engineers, network engineers, sys admins & architects, community organizers, quality assurance engineers, new grads & open source contributors who share a passion for helping others solve complex problems at scale.
We work together in small teams around the globe, supporting customers 24x7. We believe in doing the right thing & working at a sustainable pace; typically 8 hours each day with infrequent weekend support rotations.
We are passionate about our people, building on individual & team strengths, & encouraging continuous learning & certifications. And, when youre off work, we want you to relax, recharge, & refocus.
Pivotal provides an open-plan office space, bringing together talented, like-minded support engineers who enjoy taking advantage of & delivering tech-talks, time for gaming, space to hang out & enjoy a variety of snacks & beverages available throughout your day. Catered breakfast is served daily to corporate offices.
A typical day may include the following
- 8:15 AM EST: Breakfast arrives at the office
- 9 - 9:10 AM EST: Daily team sync
- Following the team sync, your days are never the same. You will be tasked with unique & exciting problems on a regular basis, so your daily routine will be influenced by many factors. One day you may be pairing with product engineers in troubleshooting sessions & the next day you may be running point on your own short term initiative, collaborating with others to improve a process or specific outcome. It is often said If you arent learning at least one new thing per day, youre doing it wrong.
- Lunch: Pivotals downtown Raleigh office is convenient to a number of great lunch spots & we have a full kitchen. Take time for yourself or join some teammates for lunch break. Pivotal caters lunch every Thursday.
- Training. We understand the need to duck out of the queue from time to time to improve on an existing skill or acquire a new one. We offer many platforms & training materials to suit the goals you set for yourself.
As a Customer Support engineer, your days are full of opportunities to be helpful, learn, & share knowledge as you address customer challenges, distill details of what you did to succeed, & share it with your colleagues & the Open Source community. Throughout the year you will have opportunities to attend as a guest or participate in Pivotals many events such as the SpringOne Tour, All Things Open, CF Summit, Cloud Foundry Meetups hosted by Pivotal - & many more!
Required Skills & Experience:
Our team members are all familiar, skilled, and/or experienced in some of the following (we do not expect you to check everything on these lists)
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent, with coursework or experience in distributed systems.
- Technical understanding of distributed in memory data management systems.
- Proficient in at least one object-oriented language (past programming experience). Java, C++, or C# strongly preferred.
- Understanding of JVM & GC tuning. Good to have performance tuning experience.
- Basic skills in analysis, design, implementation, & debugging of distributed, data intensive, and/or object-oriented applications.
- Should be proficient in the use of Windows/Unix/Linux systems andpossess solid understanding of network configuration & troubleshooting.
- Excellent analysis, troubleshooting, & communications skills.
- Ability to master new technology & application domains (e.g. financial, scientific, & industrial).
Desired Skills & Experiences:
- Contribution to open source projects & engaging in developer communities - preferred but not must.
- Experience with GemFire, Hazelcast, Redis, Coherence or other object-oriented data management systems highly desirable.
- Experience with SQL desirable.
- Good to have Spring knowledge.
- Basic IaaS/PaaS cloud knowledge.
- Experience with IDEs for Java/C++/C#.
- Nice to have some knowledge on cloud cache & cloud foundry.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.