Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director of Merchandising, Luggage, to join our Merchandising team to partner cross-functionally to create & curate innovative cross-category solutions to the unique travel needs of our customer.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? We're looking for a Director of Merchandising to lead & drive the Luggage product assortment strategy, including building the product life-cycle roadmap, partnering with finance & planning to identify short & long-term growth strategy, & driving the pricing & gross margin strategy for our growing line of travel goods. We started in early 2016 with the perfect Carry-On, developed our Checked Bags, & now we are expanding into the perfect version of everything you need to travel seamlessly. The right person for this role has strong business acumen, a clear & innovative vision around product assortment strategy, fosters collaborative cross-functional partnerships, is highly analytical, & excels at planning & timeline management. This role will work very closely with Design, Product Development, E-Commerce, Retail, Marketing, Insights, Planning, Finance, & other cross-functional teams. You will report into the VP of Merchandising, Planning, & Allocation, & be based in our Soho headquarters.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this position.
What youll do:
- Work cross-functionally to drive the go-to-market process, bringing innovative products that meet our customers unique travel needs to life, while being true to the Away brand vision
- Drive short & long-term product assortment strategy, line planning, & launch strategy across key Luggage franchises, including building a product life cycle roadmap & identifying white space opportunity
- Manage in-season strategy to deliver against topline & bottom line category financial targets
- Lead weekly business updates & cross-functional team meetings
- Partner with Planning to lead quarterly investment review meetings with the senior & executive leadership teams to drive alignment to the product assortment & growth priorities
- Leverage competitive analysis & consumer-led data to translate market trends & consumer needs into actionable product & merchandising direction, taking into consideration geography-based customer preferences & channel-specific needs
- Implement comprehensive costing & pricing framework to achieve gross margin targets in partnership with Design & Product Development
- Partner with Marketing to integrate launch strategy into broader company priorities & campaigns across channels & markets, including our own retail stores & international markets
- Create a feedback loop to integrate customer feedback & insights into recommendations to grow/maintain/decline, as well as future product iterations & launches, inclusive of post-launch recaps & quarterly hindsighting
- Manage a simplified operating model grounded in key ways of working including cross-functional collaboration, category excellence, & management of product mix across core, seasonal, collaborations, & capsules
Who you are:
- You have 10+ years of experience in driving product & merchandising strategy, ideally in Luggage, with an ability to bridge brand & product priorities to drive growth, leveraging market trend & consumer-led data & analytics
- You have strong business & financial acumen & a proven track record to deliver topline revenue & gross margin & drive growth against key digital & retail KPIs
- Youre a natural leader with an ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams & business stakeholders
- Your communication skills are clear, & you know how to articulate strategy to influence cross-functional partners
- Youre a curious & resourceful self-starter, with an ability to solve problems & seek new information
- Youre extremely organized & adept at creating (and sticking to!) timelines & driving best practices around process
- Youre a team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Youre agile & enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Youre passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
- You have a Bachelor's degree, similar field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take the time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have four weeks of PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer 401(k) match, insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, generous & inclusive parental leave, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, & a kitchen stocked with snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups & inclusion training, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money to grab coffee with your new coworkers. We have weekly team lunches & regular happy hours. We also organize monthly opportunities to give back to our local communities.
Launched in 2016 by co-founders Steph Korey & Jen Rubio, Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel. By selling directly to customers both online & through retail stores, Away is able to eliminate retailer mark up & offer high quality, thoughtfully designed luggage & travel essentials without driving up the price. In just under four years, Away has already been twice named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies, & one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies. Away is headquartered in New York City, with offices in London & Sydney. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture & a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, & sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.