SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RECOVERY TECHNICIAN (WEST COAST)
- Stage, set up, assemble/disassemble, test & install/remove flight hardware using precision calibrated tools torque wrenches, micrometers & calipers
- Hands-on operations with both large & small, fragile assemblies
- Read & interpret blueprints & schematics
- Perform work according to procedures, specifications & test instructions
- Maintain facility operations including organization, maintenance & safety of facility
- Collaborate with recovery engineers to develop & document activities
- Ensure recovery services are performed on time, safely & in a professional manner
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient & effective work environment
- Maintain & repair recovery vessels as required
- Recover flown hardware to prepare for refurbishment
- Use various mechanical tools without instruction
- Maintain accountability & perform maintenance of tools & equipment
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of professional hands-on experience in hardware assembly, test, maintenance and/or installation OR certificate from an accredited trade skills program in Airframe & Powerplant (A&P), manufacturing, and/or electronics
- 1+ years of experience troubleshooting mechanical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Maritime experience
- Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) license or Aerospace Technology certification
- Prior experience working with launch vehicles or marine vessels
- Prior experience supporting recovery efforts
- Knowledge of pressure, temperature & flow measurement devices
- Experience operating forklifts, cranes & heavy equipment
- Experience with hydrostatic & pneumatic testing
- A demonstrated ability in reading & understanding technical drawings, manuals & reports
- Able to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral & Vandenberg
- Position requires ability to obtain Merchant Mariner credential, which includes pre-employment & random drug testing in accordance with 46 CFR 16 & 49 CFR 40
- Ability to work on offshore vessels for extended durations without access to emergency services normally available on shore
- Ability to climb ladders & work in tight spaces
- Ability to climb up & down stairs regularly throughout the day
- Ability to operate heavy machinery
- Willing to operate small support boats in open ocean conditions
- Ability to lift & handle up to 35 lbs unassisted
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Willing to work in extreme outdoor environments heat, cold, rain, wind, open ocean
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, & noise
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours & weekends to support launch & critical project timelines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Recovery Technician/Level 1: $20.00 - $27.00/hour
Recovery Technician/Level 2: $25.00 - $32.50/hour
Recovery Technician/Level 3: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.