Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views & reaching 80% of U.S. adults in their 20s. As the no. 1 most engaging publisher on the social web, Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where their millennial-focused audience spends the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched video news creator on social), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment), POPSUGAR, (the no. 1 female lifestyle brand) & Seeker (the digital leader in science & innovation).
Group Nine Media is looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data Insights Pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized & dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands & working with data at scale.
The Data Insights team is a high-impact group of people with Engineering, Data Science & Design skills that build & support data products that are utilized by many teams at Group Nine. The team comes from various social, economic, & ethnic backgrounds. We value professional development & work/life balance. It's our belief that our team & our work are both made better by our diversity. If this sounds like you, keep reading!
As a person who will help establish Group Nine Media as an insights leader in the media industry, in a typical week youll:
- Architect highly-scalable data ingestion applications, construct real-time & batch ETLs, deliver highly visible reports, & build business intelligence tools that are used by Group Nine every day
- Be exposed to how big data is utilized at Group Nine Media to make decisions, set goals, & drive business decisions
- Utilize modern data technologies & tools to focus on delivering valuable insights - not maintaining a legacy architecture
- Develop applications, jobs & APIs that enable teams & software to get access to the data they require
- Work with our Data Scientists & Engineers to create standards for how our datasets are stored & queried
- Implement data validation processes to ensure data quality
- Research new & innovative ways to create data products & services
- Learn something new & awesome every day!
Some technologies that we use & love:
- Google Cloud Platform
- AppEngine, Kubernetes, Cloud Run
- Airflow, Cloud Composer
- Apache Beam, Cloud Dataflow
- Python, Ruby, Go, Node.js
- Looker, Data Studio
- You have at least 2 years of professional experience
- You have a BS in Computer Science - but we welcome other STEM-related fields or equivalent experience
- Proficiency with Python, SQL, git, & Unix/Linux Environments
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- You value humility, patience, diversity & curiosity
- You enjoy using your strong analytical problem solving skills to improve the business
- You have excellent communication skills. This is a role that interacts with many members across the business, especially on the Product & Insights teams.
- You have a passion for evangelizing how data can impact the decisions we make
- You understand the benefits of developing powerful & user-friendly internal tools to augment the capabilities of the business
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- Youre an independent, self-starter who sees the freedom to shape a team & their future work as an exciting challenge
Cover letter not required but it might help set you apart from other candidates. We promise that we will read them!
We have amazing people.We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development.We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you.We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future.We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity.Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea.Who needs anything else?
About Group Nine Media
Group Nines mission is to tell great stories that spark action & make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critics Choice, among others.