We believe that we are better together, & at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, & experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel & together find the good out there.
We are looking for a manager who can develop a team of skilled & highly motivated engineers, & also has a cutting technical curiosity demonstrated by past roles as an exceptional individual contributor. The team is responsible for maintaining & evolving the backend systems which power the Attractions & Experiences features throughout Tripadvisors surfaces, including our globally known web site & mobile applications, operating across 43 markets & 22 languages, servicing our 490 million monthly active users.
What Youll Do:
In this role you will manage a single small-to-medium-sized team (~4-8 engineers). You will be responsible for administering an agile process to manage your teams work. You will encourage iteration & breaking down complex projects into smaller, discrete parts. You will champion software engineering best practices & coach your tech leads & individual contributors on how they can improve their craft & ultimate their career. As a seasoned engineering leader, you are capable of stepping into the shoes of a technical lead, comfortable discussing design & architecture tradeoffs. You may even contribute code when time & necessity permits. You will foster a productive, collaborative, & results driven culture on your team.
- Lead an engineering team as part of a larger organization
- Champion effective Agile development processes
- Mentor software engineers to help them develop their software design & development skills
- Track industry trends yet be pragmatic when introducing new technology
- Show leadership as a hands-on developer in multiple layers of the software stack
- Show a sense of ownership & pride in your role as a leader & make us believe you will excel
- Manage a team towards long-term goals while developing new capabilities daily
- Work with everyone from engineers to product owners to C-level executives to help communicate, prioritize, influence, & inform key product decisions
Who You Are:
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- You bring 5-7 years of experience as a Senior / Software Engineer, including 0-2 years as a manager of Software Engineers
- You have been successful in hiring, mentoring, & growing engineers
- You have a broad working knowledge of full stack Web development, RESTful APIs, databases, analytics, & operations. The team develops with Java, Linux, PostgreSQL, & various other technologies.
- You have consistently exceeded expectations throughout your career, & you can describe specific activities & projects which demonstrate this behaviour
- Familiarity with AWS technologies (e.g. EKS, ECS, CDK, RDS, Dynamo) a plus
- Experience with Kubernetes & Microservices-based architecture a plus
- Past experience with datacenter-to-cloud migrations a plus
What youll get:
Tripadvisor provides a unique, global work environment that captures the speed, innovation & excitement of a startup, at a thriving, growing & well-established industry brand. At Tripadvisor, you will be part of a dynamic, fun, & energetic team where you can immediately make meaningful contributions.
- Highly competitive base salary
- Annual bonus program
- Stock grant
- Generous Paid Time Off Policy
- 401k Matching Program
- Excellent health & dental options
- Paid Parental Leave
- Annual Wellness & Fitness Benefit
- Annual personal travel reimbursement
- Life & Accident Insurance coverage
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
- + much more!
We strive to create an accessible & inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.