The Intercept is seeking an organized, energetic Communications & Administrative Associate to join its New York City team to assist the Senior Director of Communications & Strategy. This role will help promote & amplify our mission-driven, impactful journalism, as well as oversee related administrative & scheduling duties for the newsroom.
- Assist the Senior Director of Communications & Strategy;
- Develop & maintain media lists;
- Draft press releases;
- Draft event descriptions & copy to describe new Intercept podcasts, videos, investigations & articles;
- Pitch select Intercept stories to bookers, journalists, editors, & TV producers for coverage;
- Monitor media coverage & write-up weekly reports;
- Track social & legal impact of The Intercepts journalism;
- Provide logistical support for media appearances, in-person, & virtual events;
- Maintain & update lists of upcoming events, conferences, & journalism awards;
- Help coordinate award submissions with Senior Director of Communications & Strategy;
- Handle republication, translation & video footage requests from outside partners & other publications;
- Partner with Manager of Strategic Operations on general newsroom administration & media-related support for the Editor-in-Chief, deadlines & internal communications;
- Provide administrative assistance related to the Senior Director of Communications & Strategy & the newsroom, which includes scheduling both internal & external meetings, travel arrangements, & handling general office duties
- A broad understanding of the U.S. media landscape & a specific interest in non-profit journalism;
- A high degree of confidentiality & discretion is expected across all areas;
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- College graduate with 2-3 years administrative experience, preferably at a media or similar organization
- 2-3 years of communications & PR experience
- Hardworking, creative, & professional, with unflinching attention to detail
- Self-starter with excellent organization skills; able to anticipate needs & be proactive
- Should have strong communication & interpersonal skills; comfortable & efficient in team environment
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity with newsletter software like Mailchimp & Constant Contact
- Familiarity with media tracking software like Cision & Meltwater
- Understanding of the U.S. & international media landscape
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced newsroom setting
- Enthusiastic about The Intercept & its mission
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, & more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom & legal support they need to expose corruption & injustice wherever they find it.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, & the recently launched Topic SVOD service, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer -- people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.