Want to be part of a team that is a global leader in API traffic, serving nearly 2 trillion API requests per month? Were looking for a Lead API Engineer to help us design, build, & maintain the platform & codebase that powers AccuWeathers global weather APIs, with the goal of delivering near real-time weather data & alerts to save lives, protect property, & help people prosper. Someone who strives for simplicity & performance yet exhibits a passion for innovation.
Who You Are
In this role, you will create world class weather APIs to be used by web & mobile applications, global handset manufacturers, large & small enterprises, & consumers alike. This technical leadership position will work cross-functionally with AccuWeathers Product Managers, key business stakeholders, & other Engineering teams, in an Agile-based environment, to rapidly deliver high-quality APIs. If you are interested in one of the largest, most widely used APIs in the world, & you enjoy technical challenges, apply today! This position is available at our offices in State College, Pennsylvania, & New York City. Those wishing to work remotely may also be considered.
What You Will Be Doing
- Design, implement, & support AccuWeathers API frameworks & global API platforms
- Deep understanding of cloud infrastructures, Content Distribution Networks (CDNs), caching technologies, & scalability
- Expert understanding of Microsoft .NET, .NET Core, Web API, & C# technologies
- Designs & writes code for complex features & functionality for high-performing software
- Experience in engineering & managing large enterprise / commercial APIs to be consumed by both internal & external clients
- Experience with databases such as SQL Server, Oracle, Mongo DB, Azure Cosmos DB, Redis
- Provides technical leadership to & mentors fellow team members
- Demonstrates ability to present technical API solutions to internal & external cross-functional teams, leadership, & at conferences
- Collaborates with Product & other business units on timelines & roadmaps
- Exhibits effective organizational & technical leadership skills
- Ensure deliverables are met with high quality, including those on tight timelines
Experience We Are Looking For
- BS/BA in related discipline with 8+ years experience in related field - OR - MS/MA & 5+ years experience in related field
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing, & supporting API solutions for consumption by high traffic, global, applications
- Demonstrated experience in software engineering & multiple object-oriented programming languages such as C#, Java, C++, Swift, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with CDNs, edge technologies, & caching
- Displays a high level of critical thinking & analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, & inter-departmental challenges
- Experience in a CI / CD environment with tools such as Jenkins, SonarQube, GitHub, & others
- Experience presenting technical capabilities at conferences and/or prior teaching experience
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, & willing to take ownership
- Strong communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, & analytical skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands & arms; & talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand & stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, & ability to adjust focus. Up to 25% travel may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work is usually quiet.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity & inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging & profitable.