Away is seeking an experienced Technical Designer to join our Apparel team. As the Technical Designer for Away, you will oversee & take ownership of all aspects of technical design to ensure accuracy of product measurements, quality, construction, & fit. The ideal candidate will have a breadth of experience working with different apparel categories & fabrics. You are an expert in your field with the confidence & ability to create the fit blocks & construction standards for a new apparel collection.
You will report into our Head of Apparel & this position will be based out of our SoHo office.
What youll do:
- Oversee all aspects of technical design for the collection & develop/maintain fit blocks across all categories.
- Create & update specification tech packs, including detailed technical sketches, graded measurements, & construction details from development through production
- Measure garments accurately to identify any fit issues & execute fit comments efficiently to remain on schedule with production
- Lead fit sessions, provide recommendations, note call-outs, & log critiques to accurately & efficiently address all issues
- Provide grading guidelines to vendors after fit approval to ensure quality consistency & collaborate with internal & external partners
- Approve samples for production after a thorough evaluation of fit, measurement, pattern shaping, hanger appeal, & functionality
- Track & monitor progress of all sample submissions (proto, fit, pre-production, etc.)
Who you are:
- 8-10 years of experience as a technical designer in a broad spectrum of apparel categories (tops, bottoms, outerwear)
- Strong knowledge of garment construction (both knits & wovens)
- Knowledge of fabric & yarn construction, finishes & techniques`
- Leading fit sessions & working with design & production to achieve correct aesthetic & communicate fit & balance corrections to participants
- Ability to communicate fit corrections to overseas factories
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot & problem solve
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator & Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent interpersonal, written, & verbal communication skills
- Strong time management & multitasking skills
- Strong organizational skills, technical & detail-oriented
- Capacity to work independently & collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, dedicated, deadline-driven & self-motivated
- Some international travel required
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startup. We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, were expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness & lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US & abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? Were hiring!