At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
Information Security at Cloudflare is a focused team committed to helping secure both Cloudflare & our customers. The Detection & Response team is responsible for engineering the systems & programs needed to protect our company & customer from real world threats.
About the Role
We are looking for Data Scientists to join our Detection & Response team to build advanced threat detection capabilities, & to automate security operations. You will train & deploy Machine Learning (ML) models for anomaly detection, user & entity behavioral analysis, & SIEM automation. The role requires experience in statistics, data science & interest in cyber security.
What you'll do
- Understand complex distributed systems & business processes, & work with security engineers to build their threat models
- Analyze & transform large datasets for feature engineering, labeling & improve data fidelity
- Build anomaly detection engines with unlabeled & semi-labelled datasets based on threat models & abuse scenarios
- Work with threat researchers & security engineers to understand Incident Response process, & improve the process with predictive data modeling
- Train & deploy statistical, machine learning, & deep learning models
- Continuously monitor the performance of models though active learning or similar processes, & strive to improve model efficacy
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering discipline
- 4+ years of industry experience in analyzing large datasets, modeling & machine learning algorithms
- Experience in high level programming languages like Python (Numpy, Scipy, Pandas)
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive & BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent) etc.
- Familiar with the challenges of collecting, processing & labelling large datasets, preferably in the Security domain.
What Makes Us Special
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.