About the Role
As the Manager of M&A & Commercial Strategy, you will work collaboratively with the Labs team to identify, evaluate & pursue exciting consumer, market & product investment opportunities. Our goal is to launch or acquire 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year based on the investment ideas you will help identify & validate.
In your role, you will work across M&A & incubation ideas, overseeing & guiding all stages of brand assessment and/or development by shaping questions asked, work conducted, answers sought, & conclusions reached. You will be responsible for structuring & managing cross-functional projects alongside owning both the execution & implications of commercial & financial diligence including market sizing, competitive analysis & business plan development. You will work alongside experienced investors, entrepreneurs & executives to build & grow the next generation of leading CPG brands, powered by the experience & resources of Harrys
Beyond the opportunity to work with great people, this role provides a unique opportunity to work from the ground up to build an investment business at Harrys, including working closely with senior leadership to define investment philosophy, strategy & process.
What You Will Accomplish
- Identify & lead diligence of brand, market & product investment opportunities in the CPG space. Direct development of team point of view on key open questions & areas of diligence; structure & oversee execution of cross-functional opportunity assessment projects
- Drive commercial diligence on new investment opportunities, synthesizing large pools of data to develop a point of view on relevant trends & dynamics in high priority market segments & make data-driven investment recommendations
- Oversee Labs investment diligence & evaluation, including valuing acquisition opportunities, structuring transactions, & building robust financial models to assess potential investment returns
- Help build out & improve the Harrys Labs investment process & parameters, working closely with senior team members to define investment strategy & to concurrently drive early stage diligence review while building key tools & processes
- Build and/or oversee development of new brand financial models & investment returns analysis, including inputs such as customer acquisition, CPA, LTVs, retention, pricing & costs. Validate key model assumptions via primary & secondary research, including smartly leveraging cross-functional expertise across Harrys organization
- Develop presentations for Harrys leadership team to review & assess investment opportunities
- Successfully work in parallel across multiple work streams
- Report to the VP of Harrys Labs & work closely with other members of the Labs team
This Should Describe You
- 5-7 years experience in a highly analytical, project or deal oriented role (e.g., private equity, growth equity, venture capital, investment banking, management consulting)
- Experience working in a buy side (e.g., private equity, venture capital, family office), deal-driven role is required; experience working with high growth consumer businesses is a plus
- Excited by the opportunity to work in an expansive role that includes strategy definition, process development & oversight, & analytical execution. As excited to get in the weeds to develop new brands & deeply diligence acquisition opportunities as to build & oversee cross-functional project plans & to support M&A process & strategy development
- Thrive in a fast-paced, often changing, & highly collaborative environment. Able to see through the weeds, prioritize critical issues, develop work plans & effectively drive cross-functional execution
- Experience designing & building assumptions based investment models including business projections & investment returns. Understands & can build out three statement excel-based financial models & sensitize around key assumptions.
- Highly analytical: Able to collect & analyze large sets of data & synthesize into themes, insights, & so whats. You can handle ambiguity & can extrapolate & synthesize your way to insightful recommendations even when data is far from perfect
- Extremely Reliable: Is someone who you can always count on to be 100% reliable. They always go above & beyond your expectations & deliver error free work in a timely fashion
- Strong interpersonal skills: Able to build highly effective cross-functional relationships that are lateral, up & down in levels. Would be comfortable presenting to a senior audience.
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, interested in learning about new categories & new businesses
- Self-Starter: Is always the first person to offer help when something isnt getting done or a teammate is struggling. No task is too small & their sleeves are rolled up at all times.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the VP, Harrys Labs
- You will work on the Harrys Labs team, a small team that will drive Harrys new brand investment strategy by identifying market opportunities & investing in leading next generation CPG brands
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.