Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
About the Role
The Director of Legal Operations will be the founding member of the Legal Operations team at Cockroach Labs & play a large role in shaping the Legal team. You will build the very infrastructure that the Legal team will grow on for years to come. You will lead efforts to improve the efficiency & effectiveness of the Legal team by project managing key cross-functional legal initiatives, optimizing & automating workflows, managing various legal programs, maintaining our corporate entities, & negotiating & amending customer contracts. You will work very closely with the General Counsel & develop trusted relationships with various leaders at Cockroach Labs. The Director of Legal Operations will be on the ground floor of a newly formed function at a high growth startup & will have significant opportunities for growth.
- Manage key legal projects across the legal team & collaborate with cross-functional team members at all levels to ensure deadlines are met.
- Drive legal functional planning & the implementation of an OKR framework, including developing quarterly & annual objectives & tracking progress against them.
- Build engagement processes & documentation to make it easier & more efficient for other teams to get legal advice & support.
- Create & maintain information management processes, including for contract templates, corporate record-keeping, tracking projects, & legal advice.
- Assist the Legal & People teams in managing & granting employee equity & general cap table management.
- Work with attorneys to build best-in-class playbooks that drive efficiencies, including for international expansions, RFP/RFI responses, & vendor & commercial contracting.
- Review, negotiate & summarize contracts & NDAs with attorney support.
- Develop & enforce processes & policies to track & manage outside counsel usage & expenditures.
- Identify operational gaps or opportunities for the Legal team to be more efficient or effective & implement new technologies & systems to solve those problems.
- Provide other operational support to the Legal team, as needed.
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current processes & organizational structure. You will meet with stakeholders across the organization to better understand how the Legal team works with other functions. You will develop relationships with other operational leaders at Cockroach Labs & understanding of their plans, in particular as they relate to the Legal function. You will review & provide feedback on the current Legal team plan for this year. You will start to identify areas for improvement in the Legal teams operations & processes & make recommendations on how to improve these processes.
In your first 60 days, you will have a good understanding of how Cockroach Labs operates & continue to identify opportunities to improve the operations of the Legal team. You will start implementing new processes to address more immediate needs of the Legal team, including creating an improved organizational system for legal documents & forms, tracking outside counsel spend, & building out legal wiki pages on the Cockroach intranet.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team & have created a roadmap of legal ops projects. You will start implementing, alongside the General Counsel & Associate General Counsel, new systems & processes for Legal workflows such as but not limited to: centralized contract review system; management of employee equity; triaging of requests made to the Legal team by the rest of the organization; & managing the library of template contracts & forms.
- 8+ years of operations & project management experience
- 5+ years working in the legal field. Prior experience working with growth-stage organizations or units within corporations is a plus.
- An entrepreneurial spirit & passion for technology & team building
- Excellent communication & negotiation skills
- Proven track record of delivering improvements that enhance operations & team performance
- A proactive attitude towards identifying needs, anticipating issues & generating solutions
- Experience working with cross-functional & globally distributed teams
- A bachelors degree preferred or commensurate experience & training
Reporting to Dan Hegwood - General Counsel
Dan has always been passionate about technology & is dedicated to building legal teams that empower & amplify inventive businesses & products rather than constrain it. At Cockroach Labs, Dan is dedicated to building a Legal function that achieves these goals. Dan has experience building legal teams in high growth tech environments & has a strong understanding of privacy & big data issues. Dan believes strongly in the unique value that a Legal Operations team can bring & is committed to building a best-in-class operations function here at Cockroach Labs. Dan enjoys mentoring members of his team & is proud of the incredible roles many of them have moved on to at other tech companies. In his spare time, Dan loves spending quality time with his young kids, traveling, cooking & doing anything outdoors in nature.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.