The Photo Editor at Topic.com will be responsible for executing & pitching visual stories, researching archival stories, creating layouts, & working closely across teams.
The Photo Editor will be expected to have a developed understanding of visual storytelling. This position should have a deep knowledge of photography across genres & the ability to develop relationships with creators, agencies, galleries, & archives.
The Editor will be an integral member of the Topic.com team & will report to the Editor, Visuals, Topic.com.
- Work closely with a small photography department to execute visual stories
- Ideate & contribute to new story content discussions
- Discover & pitch new talent
- Research & pitch archival stories for Topic
- Create & contribute to visual story layouts
- Work closely with editors & social media team
- Hold projects to deadlines & budget
- Rights & permissions for archival imagery
Background & Qualifications:
- 3+ years experience
- Archival research
- Knowledge of photojournalism, art, & contemporary photography
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong written & verbal skills
- Excellent organization & time management
- The ability to take feedback as a process & a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines & can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves & get things done in startup environment.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.