Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Strategy Associate with a commitment to our mission to join our internationally diverse Strategy team. Strategy Associates develop & deliver strategy workstreams & in partnership with Strategy colleagues, collaborate closely with our creative & campaigning teams, work closely with clients & partners, & contribute to business development.
This is a Contract based position with a duration of 3 months, & possibility of conversion to full time employment based on a number of factors, including performance. Once converted, this role will be offered at the Associate Manager tier with a salary range of $60,000- $68,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
The role reports to a mid-to-senior Strategy Team Member & is based in Purpose's New York headquarters. Candidates who can begin immediately are strongly encouraged to apply. This role will be remote for the next few months, until it is safe to go back to normal office operations.
- Research & analysis: Develops & executes research plans, analyzing findings to deliver clear & relevant insights & conclusions that respond to key research & strategy questions (with oversight)
- Strategy & problem solving: Authors compelling strategic storylines that demonstrates the connections from insights to strategy, confidently uses & proactively builds upon Purposes core frameworks & IP, & can articulate & help develop big ideas in collaboration with campaigns & creative to shape them across a project (with oversight)
- Communication: Across different internal / client / partner audiences, confidently presents their work & facilitates discussion; & communicates the key messages, components, & storyline of deliverables clearly, concisely, & with high attention to detail, including well-structured & designed decks; & compelling & clear creative briefs (with oversight)
- Relationship building & management: Develops deep knowledge of the clients organization & sector, adds value to relationships through constructive dialogue & contributions with client contacts, & is cognizant of the impact decisions have on the client & team. With oversight, may lead small projects on a day-to-day basis & knows when & how to get additional perspective and/or escalate
- Business development: Proactively supports proposal/pitch writing, including developing approach to a client/partner challenges, proposal/pitch writing, participating in BD meetings, & understands its role in the overall business context
- Culture & conduct: Professional, constructive & collaborative across all aspects of work
- Developing & mentoring people: Shares & fosters an environment of self awareness, open & constructive feedback, & continual improvement, & oversees & supports more junior colleagues on projects
- Equity, diversity, & inclusion: Demonstrates through their behavior & decisions a commitment to equity, diversity, & inclusion, & integrates & prioritizes equity in project work, including research & strategy recommendations in deliverables & client/partner conversations
- Productivity & accountability: Set a high bar for their work product, proactively owns their workstreams & deliverables, flags challenges where required, & delivers on time & on budget.
You should have approximately 2-4 years of full-time work experience, ideally with a strategy background from an agency / consultancy (e.g. digital, creative, PR), non-profit advocacy organization, or social impact sector more broadly; a demonstrated track record and/or commitment to social sector campaigning & advocacy; & client-facing experience.
We are looking for a team player who:
- Enjoys solving complex problems in developing opportunities, ideas, & solutions
- Communicates their argument & perspective clearly & convincingly, verbally & in writing
- Thoughtfully receives, balances, & integrates feedback from multiple sources, including project leaders & cross-functional colleagues, & clients
- Brings experience in developing common agency- & consulting-style deliverables, such as synthesized issue & audience insights, strategy options & recommendations, & creative briefs
- Strategy background from an agency / consultancy (e.g. digital, creative, PR) or non-profit advocacy organization preferred, but not required
- Bilingual fluency in a foreign language is a plus.
- Values delivering for & collaborating with clients, funders, & partners
- Has high integrity, a high bar for quality & rigor, hands-on attitude, & proactivity
- Is committed to building an equitable, diverse, & inclusive workplace
- Is committed to applying & advocating for an equity lens to the work, including seeking & honoring diverse research inputs, interrogating & challenging biases & stereotypes, analyzing how power & intersectionality impacts different audience/community segments & what that means for engagement, & creating culturally relevant & respectful strategic recommendations
- Is excited about working with diverse team members
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.