Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Crimetown, Homecoming, & The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, & business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other & the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Mogul brings listeners the stories behind hip hops most iconic moments, told by the people who lived them. It features in-depth reporting & rich, layered sound design. The New Yorker called Mogul essential listening & Entertainment Weekly described it as a fascinating examination of the hip-hop industry & the culture of fame, masculinity, & violence that lie at the genres center. In Season 1, Mogul investigated the life & death of legendary hip hop executive Chris Lighty. Season 2 centered on 2 Live Crew, their fight for freedom of speech, & their complicated legacy. The team is now working to develop future seasons.
Editor is sometimes used to refer to a person who cuts tapethats not the case at Gimlet. An editor here is the person who helps each story finds its shape, who guides a production team from the initial idea to the final, polished audio piece.
A Gimlet editor is an experienced storyteller, capable of leading teams to craft stories that are engaging, surprising & emotionally satisfying. They think deeply about narrative structure. They believe in the power of audio to open people up or change their minds, & they know that kind of project takes tremendous effort & constant revision. They are critical of the work but encouraging & supportive of their teams. They dont just point out the problems, they stick around to fix them.
Associate editors are Gimlet editors in training. They are adept at delivering powerful & unique stories in audio or other mediums. They know how to consistently create work that captures their audiences. Associate editors learn from Gimlet editors how to share their skills with other people & lead a team.
What This Looks Like:
Gimlet editors generally work on two or more shows. In this role, we are looking for someone who will work consistently with the Mogul team, & will also have the potential to work on additional Gimlet shows.
As an associate editor, you will be paired with a more senior editor on each of your projects. This senior editor will lead the most challenging parts of the project you are working on while giving you space to own pieces of the editing yourself. They will be a source of feedback, support, & training for you. Over time, you will develop your skills as an audio editor & learn to lead the editorial process on your own.
Initially, your job will include:
- Shadowing senior editors to learn the details of the Gimlet production process
- Helping production teams prepare for interviews & generate interview questions
- Participating in script writing sessions with hosts & producers
- Giving notes on drafts throughout the production process
- Editing trailers & promos produced by your show teams
As you progress, you will take the lead on editing longer stories & full episodes. You will identify what is working in each story & what needs to be discarded, restructured or reimagined.
What You Have
- 4+ years of journalism or documentary experience; audio experience is a major plus
- A familiarity with, & appreciation for, hip hop
- A proven knack for collaborative work
- Excellent writing skills
- Exceptional communication skills, across the board
- An ability to jump between projects & contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context
- A strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing
- Confidence in your ideas & suggestions
- Openness & comfort with regular feedback & critique: you actively look for things you can improve & are comfortable getting feedback from all levels
- Youve listened to this old episode of Startup, & thought to yourself: yeah that sounds like fun
This is a full-time role, based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for this opening. We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.