Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Internal Tools Team
The Internal Tools team is made up of 3 groups -- IT Infrastructure & Operations, Business Applications, & Technical Program Management & Procurement. Together, we deliver trusted, scalable, secure services & infrastructure to empower Thumbtack employees with the tools they need to get work done. We partner with the business & own our platform of internal tools throughout their lifecycle -- intake, prioritization, buy/build, implementation, support, & retirement.
About the Role
Were looking for an experienced IT Systems Engineer to design, build & support our internal systems & network, & help us scale Okta identity access management at Thumbtack. As a member of IT Systems Engineering, youll collaborate with engineers, program managers, leaders & partners to execute projects, manage critical data, & implement & maintain our infrastructure, systems & integrations. You will leverage your in-depth knowledge of systems architecture, cloud-hosted services, authentication/access systems & security to solve challenges big & small. You are an excellent communicator with a passion for technology, mentoring others & delivering world-class services.
- Design, build, manage & optimize highly-available, scalable systems & network infrastructure
- Act as primary administrator for Okta & partner with IT & other teams to implement & maintain integrations with other platforms / tools (ADP, Workday, Salesforce, etc.)
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive systems & IAM architecture, strategy & direction, & to improve the quality, reliability, & supportability of existing infrastructure.
- Manage data, security, & legal governance processes & maintain compliance with security standards (least-privilege access, patching, two-factor authentication, VPN)
- Proactively monitor systems health, identify, troubleshoot & resolve advanced issues, & lead 24x7 support (on-call rotation) for critical components & changes (change/incident management)
- Lead technology projects to completion with a focus on delivering business value, leading through change, & fostering continuous process improvement
- Build & manage relationships, roadmaps & costs for vendors & 3rd-party partners
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelors degree and/or 5+ years IT systems experience in a distributed, enterprise environment
- Proven success designing, automating, deploying, securing & monitoring Okta, & experience implementing one or more large SaaS / Cloud integrations (Workday, Salesforce, ADP, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of AWS & familiarity with other cloud platforms & concepts (GCP, Azure)
- Excellent strategic thinking, analytical & problem-solving skills; ability to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis & demonstrate results through testing & metrics
- A great teammate & partner who has outstanding communication & interpersonal skills, works well cross-functionally, & thrives in a fast-paced, virtual first environment
- Understanding of security & compliance methodologies & practices, including experience with security incident response processes & tools (Splunk, Syslog), SOX & PCI
- In-depth experience with any of the following systems (the more the better): Palo Alto Networks, Splunk, Azure AD, Aruba, Infoblox, HP switching/routing, Google Workspace for Enterprise
- In-depth knowledge of common services & protocols: DNS, IPSec VPN, DHCP, PKI, Trusts, RBAC, RADIUS, OSPF, SNMP, BGP
- Knowledge of Agile & ITIL methodologies, formal project management experience
- Okta Administrator and/or AWS Professional certifications
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.