We're looking for a VP of Global Operations who will lead all physical product operations, from the time our products are manufactured to the time our customers are enjoying them. This includes leading freight, warehousing, fulfillment, personalization, returns, repairs, & transportation. Our three-year-old business has grown rapidly, & we now move millions of units of travel products around the world annually. The leader in this role is to drive strategy & execution for operations that deliver an exceptional customer experience with competitive costs & a focus on environmental impact. This role reports to our co-founder & CEO & is based in our Soho, NYC headquarters.
What youll do:
- Lead our global physical product operations from finished good to customer & back, overseeing all warehousing, fulfillment, freight, transportation, returns, repairs, & personalization
- Develop the strategic roadmap to ensure were building a world class operations function that consistently exceeds our customers high expectations as our business grows & scales; our goal is to turn every customer touchpoint (whether on our website, in our stores, or when receiving our products) into brand evangelism, including referral & loyalty
- Lead RFQ process & negotiations with suppliers in fulfillment, transportation, & value added services, working closely with legal & other key stakeholders to ensure alignment on pricing, terms, & conditions
- Build scalability into our insourced operations, including personalization & repairs
- Lead, develop, & build our Operations team (currently ~10 people)
- Define & own all Operations KPIs, creating a culture of both quantitative & qualitative accountability where we set & deliver on a very high bar for all customer-facing & efficiency Operations KPIs
- Use your strong knowledge of e-commerce/retail operations as well as data & insights from our own customers to set the vision & strategy for an innovative business & operations roadmap, considering initiatives like click-and-collect, same-day delivery in key markets, industry-leading turnaround times on personalized products, reduction of carbon footprint, cost optimization, etc.
- Own the technology roadmap for Operations to ensure we have the systems we need to support the company as we grow
- Partner with our VP of International on building customer-obsession & infrastructure scalability as we expand to new international markets, including freight & customs strategy around the world to ensure local compliance & optimize duties & tax
- Thoughtfully coach your direct reports on their own development as well as the development of their teams
- Build an engaging work environment thats aligned with achieving operational excellence
- Partner with the rest of the senior management team on forward-looking business strategy
- Provide leadership & mentorship for the entire company as we transition from being a startup to a global organization by thoughtfully guiding & teaching those around you
- Embody our core values & add to our culture
Who you are:
- You have at least 15 years of experience in Operations for physical product companies including working with 3rd party warehouses, freight forwarders, a variety of transportation vendors, & experience with both setting up insourced & building 3rd party pieces of a companys operationsstrategically thinking through when is right to make those kind of switches; you have great relationships with a variety of key vendors & at least 8 years of experience leading teams
- You have experience with implementing logistics solutions around the world that optimize for cost & service level in the context of local duties, taxes, customs, carrier mix, & customers service expectations
- You are low-ego, high-energy, & exhibit the qualities of a servant leader, always asking what you can do to make everyone around you more successful
- You constantly question the status quo & believe there is always a way we can continuously improve
- You are able to execute on todays challenges while maintaining a forward-thinking mindset around where well be six months, a year, & several years from now
- You are a true listener & believe it takes multiple points of feedback & perspective to develop the right strategy
- You are data driven & goal oriented, you measure success both quantitatively & qualitatively & understand the importance of both
- You have the highest integrity & act as a financial steward
- Your communication skills are unrivaled, & you know how to make people listen & understand
- You are curious & resourceful, with a natural ability to solve problems & seek new information
- You love to travel (but that's a given)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have flexible PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to enhance your travel experience. Were building a company with a mission to make travel more seamlessstarting with luggage. We started in 2016 with one foundational piece: The Carry-On. Today, were working to build the #1 travel brand in the world. To date weve sold more than one million travel products, opened several retail locations, expanded internationally to meet our customers where they are, launched an in-house media division, & grown to a team of more than 200 people.We know thats just the beginning. Fast Company named us one of their 2018 Top 10 Most Innovative Companies, we were selected as one of TIME's 50 Genius Companies of 2018, included on LinkedIn's "Top Startups of 2018" list, & called a Breakthrough Brand with Ingenious Marketing by Adweek.