Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products & systems that directly impact our customers & professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search & booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership & transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Our Site Reliability Engineers are a hybrid of software & systems engineers. Our current mission is to design Thumbtacks next version of the core infrastructure. We code our way out of operational problems. We are responsible for reliability, scalability, & automation while keeping an eye on latency, performance, & capacity.
- Design, write, & maintain software to improve the availability, scalability, & efficiency of Thumbtack's services, incorporating third-party open-source tools when available
- Set the architectural direction of infrastructure & platform teams & supporting the entire organization
- Design & implement the tools & processes used for deployment & Change Management & Incident Response
- Own, maintain, & continuously improve all systems provided as a service, such as monitoring & datastores
- Engage in service capacity planning & demand forecasting, anticipating performance bottlenecks
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 9 years of industry experience in engineering
- Fluent in one or more of: C, Python, Go, Scala
- Familiarity with algorithms, data structures, & complexity analysis
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems (processes, threads, IPC, concurrency, locks, mutexes, semaphores, etc.)
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell & beyond, with experience working with system libraries, file systems, & client-server protocols
- Experience with one or more of: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, et al.
- Strong sense of ownership, drive, & leadership
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, & troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience architecting cloud-native applications with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with PostgreSQL tuning & performance
- Experience managing a Container Orchestration System, such as ECS, Kubernetes
- Experience with one or more of: Kafka, ElasticSearch, Envoy Proxy
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity, equity & inclusion.