Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Senior Manager to join our Government Affairs team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
We are looking for a government affairs professional with extensive state regulatory experience to assist in the continued development & execution of Oscars state & federal government affairs function. In this role, the ideal candidate will have a mix of experience, including familiarity with government programs, statutory solvency & risk management. Knowledge of the health insurance industry or another highly regulated industry & a demonstrated ability to operate at a highly strategic & collaborative level is critical. Youll report to our Associate Director of Government Affairs, & work closely with the Vice President of Government Affairs & other business units across the company. Externally, youll interface with regulators & other government officials at both the state & federal level.
- Provide thought leadership on legislative, regulatory & industry developments, including the proactive identification & assessment of regulatory risks & the ongoing monitoring & tracking of relevant legislative & regulatory updates.
- Partner with Oscars finance & accounting teams to support the companys statutory solvency & risk management obligations in the various states Oscar operates.
- Work directly with Oscars Medicare Advantage team to develop & execute on policy objectives. Ensure that they are apprised of all relevant federal regulatory & legislative proposals, & assess the likely outcome to determine the impact.
- Develop relationships with relevant state trade associations & other stakeholders to identify opportunities to promote policies that further Oscars interests. Maintain relationships with staff to facilitate & strengthen company influence with associations, in order to obtain appropriate research & policy support.
- Represent Oscars interests with elected officials & regulators at all levels, including senior administration staff, Commissioners of Insurance, state legislators, etc.
- Bachelors degree
- 6+ years of experience in government/regulatory affairs, preferably with a health insurer
- Experience with state legislative & regulatory processes, ideally as they relate to the health insurance industry
- Experience working with federal health insurance regulators (including HHS/CMS/CCIIO), federal risk adjustment rules & the Stars Rating Program
- Experience managing cross-functional project/ initiatives, specifically in the government affairs/regulatory space
- Experience communicating with & presenting information to leadership
- Experience distilling regulatory requirements into digestible action items, for audiences at varying levels of seniority
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We aim to make health care affordable & accessible for all, & apply this same vision to our perks & benefits, including: medical benefits, unlimited paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.