BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
The Vice President, SOX Internal Controls is responsible for leading the overall SOX implementation function for the organization. SOX is a significant regulatory requirement, which requires management to document, assess & make representations about the effectiveness of its internal control structure surrounding financial reporting. Participation in this requires understanding of internal control activities, interpretation of the regulation & coordination of activities across the division.
The position reports to the SVP, Global Corporate Controller. This role can be office-based in Los Angeles or New York city.
- Provide framework for overall financial risk & control framework & governance over SOX processes
- Develop & implement policies & procedures as it relates to the various work streams within the group
- Identify, document & assess key risks & controls across Finance & Operations, as well as work with the business areas to institute proper controls & remediation strategies including scoping methodology & process mapping.
- Develop, execute & review narratives, risks assessments, & test plans to assess the effectiveness of internal controls
- Liaise with VP, Internal Auditto summarize programs, evaluate results & potential impact to internal controls
- Propose recommendations for changes to address root cause of issues & participate & implement agreed upon remediation plans
- Identify gaps between implemented controls & key risks & recommend remediation actions
- Track metrics & coordinate reporting to project working groups, steering committees, senior management, internal audit, & external auditors Manage & coordinate with the Information Technology SOX lead to lead synergies across both business & IT SOX functions
- Lead annual fraud questionnaire initiatives & issue memos summarizing the results
- Execute high-profile special projects in partnership with Financial leadership and/or executive management
- Bachelors Degree
- 12+ years of experience in audit or related field
- CPA preferred
- Experience in implementing & executing an initial SOX compliance program is strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of internal control design & testing concepts, & practical experience with performing internal audit assessments
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, including delivering difficult messages
- Experience in communicating with senior management, Board of Directors, & Audit Committees
- Demonstrated risk assessment & management skills
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
At BuzzFeed, we want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.