Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, & entertainment company & currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, & technologies transforming our lives & economy; & Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news & headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, & the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President & Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, & Denstu Ventures.
About This Role:
Cheddar is looking to hire a creative & experienced Senior News Editor to help our small team of journalists develop business news content that will complement our growing news networks & grow our digital audience. A successful candidate will have a strong pedigree in covering Wall Street & Silicon Valley & experience translating complicated financial topics into engaging stories with broad audience appeal. The candidate we choose will be equally comfortable editing spot news stories on breaking news deadlines, turning on-air guest segments into insightful text stories, & developing long-form features & investigative pieces. The ideal candidate would also have a strong grounding in digital journalism & up-to-date experience creating content that performs well in search & on social platforms. The position will require flexibility, perseverance & innovative thinking to help Cheddar develop its digital presence. Equally important, the candidate we choose will be expected to embrace Cheddars start-up culture & work ethic. The person we choose will report to the Managing Editor.
What Youll Do:
- Assign stories for a small team of journalists & internal contributors based on news priorities, driving audience engagement across platforms & highlighting insights from on-air guest segments.
- Elevate our spot & enterprise journalism with rigorous editing that improves news value & overall quality, plus meets the goal of engaging our core audience.
- Shepherd enterprise & investigative pieces from ideation through publication.
- Edit or produce other digital products as needed, including a daily evening newsletter.
- Work with the Managing Editor to track audience engagement trends & use that data to adjust content strategy as needed.
Who You Are:
- A fast & clever editor who can translate complicated subjects for a millennial audience.
- A teacher & mentor for young reporters & writers.
- A creative thinker & innovative problem-solver who will be comfortable in a start-up environment.
- A collaborative team player who can work across departments with the news, audience, revenue, & product teams.
- An ethical & conscientious editor.
- A hard worker who thrives in a high-pressure environment & can meet tight deadlines.
- An adaptable & flexible team player who is able to mix easily & work effectively in our small, scrappy & highly collaborative company.
- 6 -10 years working in financial news as a reporter or editor.
- Strong experience with SEO, digital audience analytics & social media.
- A track record of rigorous & meaningful journalism that connects with a broad digital audience.
Our Benefits & Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed & our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast & achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, & different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation & benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, & vision insurance, disability & life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks & snacks, team events, happy hours, & more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, & we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates & are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences & backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.