Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Senior Manager, Accounting & Reporting, to join our Finance team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform & a focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselvesone that behaves like a doctor in the family.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Accounting & Reporting. We are a newly public company, & we are looking for someone who will apply their technical accounting & internal controls knowledge to help us build an outstanding SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting function.
This is a newly created department at a newly public company. The Accounting & Reporting, Senior Manager will help develop important processes necessary to run a successful department & will really contribute their own ideas & make a difference. This is a hybrid role that isn't a pure policy role - you will work on research & policy memos but also work on Corporate Accounting & SEC Reporting. Thus, there are many opportunities for learning & to have an impact.
You will report to the Director, SEC Reporting. This is a remote role, you will work remotely in one of the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington. Note, this list of states is subject to change.
- Provide accounting guidance & expertise to the Finance department (Corporate Accounting, Statutory Reporting & SEC Reporting teams) by performing accounting research & developing accounting policies on essential technical matters.
- Support the integration efforts of newly acquired revenue streams by identifying accounting process flows, relevant internal controls & developing accounting policies.
- Be a liaison with departments in the review of essential transactions.
- Work with the SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting team & internal/external auditors on the review of technical matters, policies & other essential accounting issues.
- Assist the SEC Reporting team with the preparation of financial statements & related footnotes.
- Research & manage the implementation of new accounting standards.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Accounting
- 6+ years minimum relevant experience
- Big Four audit or advisory accounting experience
- In-depth technical knowledge of US GAAP
- Advanced Excel skills
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP guidelines & auditor methodologies
- Experience researching, assessing the impact & documenting technical accounting issues
- Insurance industry experience
Life at Oscar
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
COVID-19 vaccine requirements for in-person work:
To protect the health & safety of our employees, we require any employee conducting in-person work* to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date.
If you are unable to be vaccinated due to medical or protected religious reasons, please reach out to our Benefits team at email@example.com to submit an accommodations request.
*Note: In-person work includes: employees required to work from our offices (either full-time or part-time), employees conducting sales work in the field & employees conducting at-home or in-person visits with members.