SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LIFE CYCLE ENGINEER (FALCON)
As a Life Cycle Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to explore all areas of a products life cycle from development through production & launch by engaging in multiple disciplines with a focus on mechanical design, reliability, & manufacturing. You will be expected to develop, analyze, & troubleshoot mechanical parts & assemblies, define new processes, design tooling/fixtures, & identify opportunities for improvement in both products & processes. You will have the opportunity to own a wide variety of components that enable SpaceX vehicles to provide the safest & most reliable access to space. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes an extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew & payload.
- Provide extreme ownership of avionics hardware for flight across all areas of the product life cycle
- Drive changes to mechanical part & assembly drawings that improve reliability & manufacturability
- Perform root cause investigations, analysis, & simulations to characterize performance limits & mitigate risk
- Develop high reliability hardware to expand vehicle capabilities
- Derive engineering justification to resolve production issues throughout assembly, test, & vehicle integration
- Design test setups & execute hardware validation through benchtop & environmental testing
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, other engineering discipline, or physics
- 1+ years of experience with mechanical design & analysis (academic projects & internships qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, & demanding atmosphere
- Familiarity with managing projects from start to finish
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication, & documentation skills
- Creative problem solver capable of working within a multidisciplinary team
- Drafting & modeling with Siemens NX or similar for part design & managing assemblies
- Simulation tools for performing stress, dynamic, or thermal analysis (e.g. ANSYS)
- Design for Excellence (DFX) principles related to GD&T, material selection, & manufacturing processes
- Exposure to electronics packaging & designing for extreme environments
- Extended hours & weekend work may be required to support critical project & mission milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Life Cycle Engineer (Falcon)/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Life Cycle Engineer (Falcon)/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.